Council of University of Wisconsin Libraries
CUWL SPRING MEETING (Joint with ITMC)
Heidel House, Green Lake WI
April 19-20, 2010
Present: E. Barczyk (UW-Milwaukee), K. Davis (UWSP), K. Schneider (WiLS), A. Evans (UW-L), M. Doylen (UW-Milwaukee), P. Ganyard (UWGB), J. Gilbertson (UWM), L. Jewell (UWSA), J. Alexander (UWP-faculty), P. Roberts (UW-Stout), P. Huff (UW Extension), J. Markgraf (UWEC), V. Menon (UWP), Z. Sampson (UW-Platteville), J. Lowrey (UW-Milwaukee), S. Frye (UWM), S. Meyer (UWM), B. Fahey (UWO), D. Nordgren (UW-Superior), M. Rieder (UW Colleges), D. Dettman (UW Colleges-guest), M. McKnelly (UWRF), M. Rozmarynowski (UW Colleges), M. McCallister (UWW), J. Pollitz (UWEC).
CUWL Membership Meeting (1:35 p.m. April 19, 2010)
Agenda change to have coordinating committee reports on 4/19. Minutes from March CUWL meeting will be distributed and approved later. Introductions of groups and announcements from each campus.
Resource Discovery Task Force (S. Frye)
The task force met recently with R. Ginsberg to review the RFI process. Each coordinating committee will submit their questions with an April 30 deadline. A draft RFI will be ready in May for discussion at the June meeting. Four campuses will be testing Primo from ExLibris, and pay a small charge for the proof of concept test. Because there are a number of tests ongoing now, it was suggested that uniform questions be devised to evaluate each test equally.
Summer Conference (L. Jewell)
A template of the conference agenda is on the Wiki, and Lisa distributed drafts of the program. List of attendees from each campus need to be submitted by April 30, and a block of hotel rooms will be held until May 1.
Collections & Resource Sharing Coordinating Committee (M. Rieder)
Two actions items: (1) Recommend renewing the Oxford Online Dictionary and Oxford Music Online which expire June 30. Passed unanimously. (2) Recommend increasing funding for the shared electronic collection for 2011. Without more money from the campuses, we will be over budget by $66K. Total cost for all products will be $170K. Passed unanimously. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to spend $15K of system funds to have bxRecommender for one year. It will be reactivated immediately.
User Services Coordinating Committee (J. Markgraf)
There has been a series of 3 webinars over the spring semester and they were well received. The committee completed and submitted its questions for the RFI. The committee needs suggestions for a new archivist member of the committee.
Library Technology Coordinating Committee (J. Lowrey)
Open source software (Xerxes interface) has been tested at Madison and Eau Claire began testing it last week. A demo of it will be offered at Summer Conference. It allows much customization and many people prefer it to the stock version of Metalib. However, the customization will require work on each campus. Any campus can begin testing it by asking Madison for access.
Digital Initiatives Coordinating Committee (M. Doylen)
The group has finished and submitted its questions for the RFI and has done planning for the Summer Conference. There have been relatively few proposals coming to the DICC and they solicit project ideas from all the campuses.
UW System (L. Jewell)
The Voyager upgrade is scheduled for August and Lisa distributed the schedule. The UB shutdown needs to be coordinated. Ideally all campuses should be using TomCat before the upgrade; those that don’t will have to use a hot patch. This upgrade is not going to be as extensive as last year’s. Voyager maintenance will increase by 2% next year. There are concerns that the support for the upgrade not be on Tel Aviv time, and ExLibris promises support from Chicago. ExLibris management personnel will be in Madison for a visit April 26. ExLibris has offered to help clean up stub records, but all campuses have to be finished on their end before this can occur. There is a new budget for 2011, which is very similar to last year’s, leaving out BadgerCat, and a slight increase in delivery services.
UW System continued (E. Meachan)
Ed described a leadership training program particularly for non-profit middle management that is highly recommended. The program is an intensive five 2-day seminars per year, with an assigned mentor, dealing with an applied problem selected by the participant. Cost of this is $5000 per person and UW hopes to have 25-30 persons next year attending, with at least two persons representing any single campus. UW System will pay one half of the tuition, but costs of travel and remainder of tuition would be borne by the campus.
Efficiencies Task Force (K. Davis)
Kathy distributed a progress report which detailed 3 outcomes for the task force, with 2-3 objectives for each outcome. This report came out of wide input from all of the campuses. Most of the interest centered around centralized SFX/Metalib maintenance, with centralized management of documents coming next. Some additional items not mentioned by the task force were (1) shared support for reference & instruction, (2) outsourcing original cataloguing, (3) shared PR for our resources, and (4) common vendor for e-books. It was pointed out that Rebecca Martin had been most interested in CUWL implementing efficiencies through shared services. CUWL voted unanimously to accept the report and charge the Efficiencies Task Force to move forward.
DIN Report (E. Van Gemert)
Ed distributed the ‘talking points’ about the Research Commons and a preliminary budget for the 2011-13 DIN. He will have an update meeting with Rebecca Martin and she would like also to have periodic meetings with CUWL leadership. K. Pletcher didn’t think the DIN would be controversial but urges continual conversation with our chancellors. The DIN would likely be for 6 million dollars and Ed and Kathy will send CUWL members some information on how this number was arrived at. The DIN wording attempts to show out this will increase jobs in Wisconsin and assist in increasing the number of undergraduate students. The various Research & Sponsored Programs personnel in UW system campuses recently put together a DIN request for 25 million dollars to increase research possibilities, and this might be competitive or collaborative with our DIN. M. Rozmarynowski will send copies of this DIN to CUWL members. The group viewed a 3 minute video about the DIN request which was well received.
WiLS Report (K. Schneider)
Kathy reported on a number of issues: (1) Intra-system document delivery funds are in good shape as the volume has been down, largely due to Milwaukee now using Rapid. (2) Today is an LSTA hearing and we are trying to get the “WHO” program transferred from WiLS to DPI. (3) Distributed a draft of a new strategic plan for WiLS, which will go to the WiLS board in June, comments from CUWL are invited. (4) Two weeks ago WiLS won a proposal for a program manager for Wisconsin Public Library Consortium. (5) The VCR network in Denver is ending and WiLS will see if any of the participants, particularly in Iowa, would like to move to WiLS for ILL and cooperative purchasing. (6) WiLS is considering discontinuing webinars and doing only face-to-face training. (7) Level 1 directors got a request from WiLS for input on future directions. (8) Cheryl Bradley will retire in August and her position may be reconfigured for the future.
Procurement (R. Ginzberg)
Ruth discussed a few issues of concern to CUWL: (1) The Discovery Tools & Services RFP from UW system research and sponsored programs personnel is in the procurement office and Ruth wondered why this group and libraries didn’t work together. She suggested we talk with our research personnel about it. They wish to stop using the software program SPIN and find another program that works better for them. (2) There are some IT proposals that will have some impact on libraries. (3) There is a Cloud Computing Working Group to develop checklists and develop risk assessment tools. Some of our library vendors are involved with this. They are also developing recommendations for campuses when they have to do cost comparisons on products. There are privacy considerations on data storage, and this group wants to help on contract language. (4) Recently some old and expired contracts for library vendors came to light and Ruth will be going through them to see which need to be updated and/or renegotiated. (5) Ruth is working on Oracle and Microsoft contracts. The issue with Microsoft is to find a way to offer remote access that is legal and cost effective. Current Microsoft models don’t fit this well and remote access would be a bonus for distance and commuting students. (6) Governor Doyle signed Act 136 a month ago which requires all services to be performed in the U.S., i.e., support can’t be overseas call lines. This is a big issue for many large companies, and ExLibris is an example. This is for future contracts only, not current ones. (7) A new law is being considered to govern and regulate more closely the use of outside consultants for services of $25K.
Wisconsin Historical Society (P. Gottlieb)
The planning for a remote storage facility is going ahead, but no longer in connection with UW Madison. Currently the planning is attempting to reduce costs, and an architectural firm with previous similar experience is working with the same date for opening (2013) on a site near Mendota State Hospital, 7 miles away. The WHS reading room renovation was completed at the end of January and it is now being publicized with a public opening ceremony slated for April 21. UW Madison is to be thanked for their support. An additional reception is planned to coincide with the CUWL Summer Conference. An IMLS grant was secured with DPI Reference & Loan to look at preservation in the state. The first part of the grant is a planning period and then a new grant allows for the project. Planning will start June 1. WHS has just hired a new preservation coordinator.
Wisconsin Research Network (E. Van Gemert)
River Falls has submitted 5 faculty names. Ed distributed the form that potential researchers will fill out. Selection is up to each of the campuses, with expectation that there will be from 6 to 8 from each campus, Milwaukee numbers somewhat higher. The designation for these faculty members will be “UW Faculty Researchers.” Each will get a campus ID, then go to a URL and create their net ID. There are some complexities involved in gaining access to Chem. Abstracts. This project does not replace the need for the DIN, but can complement it and show the need for the DIN.
Strategic Directions Task Force (P. Ganyard)
Paula distributed copies of the draft of the task force report. After CUWL approval, it will go to the coordinating committees for them to decide which projects they have that match with the objectives. Objectives still remaining after that will be addressed by the Task Force. CUWL approved the draft unanimously. It will return to CUWL later with more detail.
Election of New Officers (V. Menon)
The slate was presented and passed unanimously. Vanaja Menon=chair; Kathy Davis=vice chair; Paula Ganyard=secretary; Anita Evans=member at large. An appointment of a faculty rep is still needed and we need to put out a call for some coordinating committee memberships.
July Meeting (J. Pollitz)
One purpose of a longer July face-to-face meeting is to evaluate the increased meetings and our timeline from last summer. It was decided to set the meeting for July 20 in the Commons Room, Memorial Library, UW Madison.
Paula Huff was thanked for her service to the group. Additionally each of the chairs of the coordinating committees – and the committees themselves – were commended for their hard work and successful outcomes.
Announcement (K. Frazier)
DPI is interested in investigating a Wisconsin library card. Ken Frazier is asking all CUWL members to send him their policies on community use of UW libraries, and is particularly interested in seeing written policies.
Meeting adjourned 12:30 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Myrna McCallister, secretary