Council of University of Wisconsin Libraries
CUWL Minutes, January 23, 2008
Council of University of Wisconsin Libraries
Meeting location: 780 Regent Street (Room 108), Madison WI
January 23, 2008
Attending: Kristin Eschenfelder, Steve Frye, Ed Van Gemert, Valerie Malzacher, Mary Williamson, Chris Goss, John Krogman, Peter Gottlieb, Ewa Barczyk, Joshua Ranger, Tony Gulig, Marc Boucher, Marlys Brunsting, Leanne Hansen, Kathy Davis, Deb Nordgren, Michael Pickart, Barbara Fahey, Anita Evans, Paul Roberts, John Pollitz, Allan Davis, Lisa Jewell, Ed Meachen, Lori Voss, Ruth Ginzberg, Jean Gilbertson, Richard Reeb, and Ken Frazier.
Guest: Howard Harris (Library Dynamics)
The meeting was called to order at 9 am by Jean Gilbertson
Ed Meachen introduced Lisa Jewell. She is the new Library Consultant at the UW System. She comes to the System from the Wisconsin Indianhead technical college.
Lori Voss introduced Ruth Ginzberg who now has Lori’s former position. Ruth comes to the System from DPI and has extensive experience.
All attendees introduced themselves.
- Paul Roberts announced a unit name change for the UW-Stout Library from that of the Library Learning Center to that of University Library.
- Ed Van Gemert said UW-Madison is planning an Arts and Humanities research symposium on May 2 in Madison and please consider attending. Information on the symposium will be out soon. Also on April 12th there will be a Copyright Symposium for students. Major themes include the student culture of sharing, copyright and fair use, and students’ rights to their own works.
- Ewa Barczyk said that UW-Milwaukee received a seven figure donation for a named learning commons. Ewa also reported on a Community Event centered on the theme of an Afternoon in the Tuscan Sun.
- Ewa also reported for Vanaja Menon of UW-Parkside who was unable to attend the meeting. The Library will be recruiting an Electronic Resources Coordinator at the Academic Librarian level.
- Joshua Ranger announced that UW-Oshkosh received funding for a half time records manager to serve for two years.
- Tony Gulig, faculty at UW-Whitewater, is serving on the search and screen committee to replace Joyce Huang. He also reported that UW-Whitewater has a new student union.
- Kathy Davis from UW-Stevens Point announced that they have a new Access Services Librarian, Erin Nichols.
- Deb Nordgren from UW-Superior noted that they were into the details about their new building and the move into temporary quarters.
- John Pollitz from UW-Eau Claire announced that Chris Cox accepted a position of Dean of Libraries at Western Washington University. UW-EC is also looking for two more Reference Librarians.
The Consent Agenda was put forth by Jean Gilbertson.
- Approval of CUWL minutes, October 30-31, 2007
- Review of Executive Committee minutes, Nov. 26, 2007
- Review of Executive Committee (plus Committee Chairs and CUWL reps) minutes, Dec. 4, 2007
Ed Van Gemert moved to approve the Consent Agenda. It was seconded by Ewa Barczyk and was passed by the membership.
UW System Report (Meachen)
The Chancellors and UW cabinet met last week to discuss Advantage Wisconsin (the plan for the next 5+ years). In discussion with President Riley, a number of the Advantage Wisconsin items line up well with the system budget initiatives, especially Undergraduate Research and Technology Transfer.
The budget request for System is going forward and will be presented to the Regents at their February meeting. It may be useful to have a member of the DIN working group to sit in. The Regents meeting will be broadcast.
The Human Resources system implementation is in initial stages. There was a Visioning Conference on Nov. 28 and will be a Human Resources System summit on January 7. There will be 150 people from around the entire UW system. An implementation team is in process of creation. There are six positions left to fill. The web site for this project will be up next week.
The Common Systems review group is meeting tomorrow about budgets for next year. The budget recommendation will go to the Chancellors after meeting. Discussion followed about the process and how the Common Systems Group operates.
They will be going to the Regents in February with an IT reporting plan. The budget plan enjoins the regents to report more fully on large IT projects. They have put together a plan for the regents to review/approve. The threshold for reporting on projects is $100,000.00.
The Records Managers met last week with CIOs to discuss e-mail and other electronic records management. The hope is to build electronic records management into the coming HR system.
Ed Meacham is working with Bob Hoar on the new Institute for Innovation in Undergraduate Research & Learning (IIURL) at UW-La Crosse. The goal is to teach undergraduate students technology using hands on experience. The focus right now is on STEM and teacher education. He met yesterday with staff to look into ways of tapping into federal funding
There were D2L difficulties yesterday; but fixes are now in place and D2L is up and running.
Discussion of the new HR system ensued.
Technology/Budget updates (Moriarty and Meachen)
UW System Senior Vice President Rebecca Martin undertook an exercise over the last three months to find re-allocation of funding for the Equity Score Card project. This is an attempt to bring data to bear in decision making to improve retention of disadvantaged students. $100,000 came from the Library Automation fund for next year. System also lost another $62,000 in other funds and it is doubtful that we will get the money back. This was basically next year’s contingency fund.
Paul Moriarty said that Library Automation is a misnomer. It is really Access, Collections, etc. Ed Meachen noted that any major automation changes/upgrades will have to go through Common Systems. It is the only organization that can commandeer funding for major projects.
Paul Moriarty reported that three libraries are participating in ISkills assessment this semester (Oshkosh, Whitewater and LaCrosse). Madison and Milwaukee are looking at SAILS.
The Hub is reviewing budgets on a quarterly basis and is under budget and in the black. UW-Eau Claire and UW-Stevens Point have sent in data about joining the Hub. DoIT has come up with an estimate on how much it will cost to have them join. If they join it will not have an appreciable effect on current member costs. Lisa Jewell will be talking to both UW-Eau Claire and UW-Stevens Point.
Report on Blackwell Contract (Lorie Voss and Richard Reeb)
Richard Reeb reported that a spreadsheet giving a mid-year review of the Blackwell contract went out yesterday. Expenditures of $1000 or more are represented on the spreadsheet. Richard feels there has been a great buy in. Three libraries (Madison, Stevens Point, and Stout) have not achieved fifty per cent purchasing from Blackwell. Madison needs to eliminate foreign designations from their accounts since much of their purchases fall outside of the account. Madison also has other items that were on order before the contract became effective and another campus library that did not come on board right away has spent over $25,000 with Borders. There were expenditures of $700,000 in the first six months. We are on target to meet the $2.5 million goal. Lorie Voss noted that the $2.5 million is a target and not a actual requirement. A proposal is being prepared to give to Blackwell to bid on rush processing. Discussion ensued about Amazon as a prime source for rush orders. Richard is more concerned about Border’s. Jean Gilbertson noted that the spreadsheet does not compare to last year. We may be behind last year’s purchasing at this time.
Lorie Voss said that book purchases fall under special rules. It is generally understood that purchase of books is from publishers and there is competition between them. The question is where is the competition when Amazon is used? Amazon refused to be a part of the bid process. Amazon will not be a part of any educational bid process. That is a concern if one looks at what we are trying to accomplish with the state contract.
Ed Van Gemert asked if books are coming shelf ready from Blackwell. Richard Reeb said not yet since they do not have PromptCat in place. Ewa Barczyk said they are getting some items delivered shelf ready.
Budget/DIN committee update and discussion (Malzacher)
Valerie Malzacher has previously sent materials dealing with the work of the Budget/DIN Committee. General discussion followed of where we are at with the budget request.
- The committee looked at why we were successful and unsuccessful in the past.
- The last unsuccessful DIN sent a mixed message. The committee felt we should concentrate on the system resources rather than mix in with local concerns.
- We need to recognize that sometimes other priorities take precedence.
- We need to craft our budget message for delivery to various constituencies.
- We also need to tie our budget request to the Growth Agenda also we need to tie to UW curricula and research.
Valerie also discussed a general concept for the 2009-11 budget, that of the Wisconsin Electronic Collection. The major components are:
- Content we purchase or lease (a high priority is a significant increase in the size and scope of the Shared Electronic Collection)
- Content we create
- Faculty content
- Instructional materials
- Content that supports growth areas of Wisconsin research
Access and Delivery
- Article access/document delivery/resource sharing
- Delivery service
Research and Discovery
- Discovery tools
- Skills training
- Assessment tools
Valerie also said that UW-Madison has provided funds to hire a consultant to help craft our message to various constituencies on the budget. The next step is to work with the provosts and then have something ready by March to submit to Senior Vice President Rebecca Martin. Other initiatives, including D2L, were discussed. Some information has been sent to Legislators and to other librarians in the state about our needs.
The talking points for the Provosts that were sent out by Pat Wilkinson were discussed next. These points are tied directly to the four points in the letter that President Riley sent to all of our campuses.
General discussion ensued on the Budget/DIN proposal.
- Ed Meachen suggested that we focus on one thing and that should be research; both undergraduate and graduate research. .
- John Krogman felt that emphasizing electronic access to resources may be the way to go.
- Anita Evans suggested that both themes may be melded together.
- Kristin Eschenfelder proposed that Economic Development be the theme. More discussion followed.
Ken Frazier noted that there was a limited amount of time to develop a core message. We need to find ways of accelerating discussion. He has done a preliminary estimate on what it would take to create a shared electronic collection that would serve the entire state; state agency libraries, tech colleges, the entire UW-System etc. This would be a very large figure, much larger than we can make a case for in the next biennium. However, research affects nearly everybody. We need to make the research case: Research Capacity, Assets for Research, and Access for Everyone.
Ken feels that we need a cross cutting concept and he proposes a Wisconsin Research Knowledge Network that would be centered in our libraries. We would identify Research Fellows on our campuses and provide them with comprehensive access to services and resources. A Research Fellow would have an obligation to contribute to the knowledge base. UW Libraries would need to sponsor research fellows. We would license as much as possible for the entire UW System, but cannot afford to license everything for every student in the system.
Discussion followed on the concept including possible methods and other details.
- Libraries will have the burden of managing the identity of Research Fellows and we would have to absorb the cost of identity management.
- The advantage is that libraries will be seen as the agency providing this needed access.
Ken noted that COLAND is the only statewide committee charged with planning for all libraries across the state. COLAND is sponsoring a Visioning Summit in early May. They are currently developing a list of 100 or so attendees and all attendees will be funded by DPI. Superintendent of DPI noted this summit could lead to a budget request to the legislature.
Michael Pickart asked how much it will cost to provide statewide access to resources. Richard Reeb has done some preliminary work. He stated that it gets very complicated for the vendors to give reliable quotes. They have identified some representative fields and have tried to get some quotes to extend access to resources that Madison has to the rest of the system. They are beginning to get data. The estimate is $2.5 million so far for four fields for core resources and that is not even addressing journals. The dollar amount is huge. More discussion followed on possible methods of accomplishing the Research Fellows program.
Valerie Malzacher summarized the discussion. We do have a deadline and the discussion has been useful. The Committee will take the discussion points and will craft something since we need it by March. We need a DIN proposal that will resonate with our provosts, legislators, etc. The Committee will share their work before forwarding the proposal to the provosts.
Updated strategic directions document w/CC assignments and establishing CC working groups (Gilbertson)
Jean Gilbertson recounted the areas of activity by the coordinating committees.
- There have been conference calls to fine tune the committee process.
- Pat Wilkinson sent out a strategic plan and the Coordinating Committees began deliberating on action items. The intent is to make the strategic plan a living document as things change.
- Some issues cut across several committees. A conference call with the CUWL Executive Committee and Coordinating Committee chairs determined the following:
- One CC will be assigned responsibility for cross-committee issues and will coordinate between the different committees.
- The CC Chairs will have autonomy to decide how they will put together their working groups for the action items.
- The CC Chairs, CUWL Representatives, and the CUWL Chair will have a regularly scheduled phone conference the second Monday of each month.
User Services CC report (Frye)
Steve Frye reported on the activities of the User Services Coordinating Committee.
- Create a system-wide user services wiki to share information, tools, resources and teaching materials. The USCC has joined with the other coordinating committees and created a CUWL wiki and a CUWL group account within the UW-Madison instance of xythos.
- Identify the desired/required functionality of our next generation OPAC. After discussing this action item with the chair of the Technology Initiatives CC, the USCC decided that this item will eventually be taken up by the Technology Initiatives CC.
- Explore information literacy/library instruction assessment tools and make a recommendation. The USCC has formed the Information Literacy Assessment working group. The URL for the group is:
- Investigate and recommend ways to assess our user services. A MetaLib Assessment working group has been formed. Its URL is:
- Investigate new models of reference services. A New Reference Models working group has been formed with the URL of:
- Explore the use of Web 2.0 tools in the provision of user services.
There is a Web 2.0 Tools working group:
- You can see the list of members, read each group’s charge, and follow the progress of each working group by going to the CUWL wiki:
The USCC is in the process of establishing a distance services standing committee which will include the distance service liaison from each campus. This committee will have space on the CUWL wiki to discuss distance service related issues and concerns.
The USCC is meeting monthly (2nd Friday) from 10am-12pm. They are using a service called freeconference.com which provides free teleconference and web conference services.
The USCC sponsored a system-wide presentation on iSkills using the teleconference service and web conference tool provided by freeconference.com. They had between 30 and 40 library staff from around the UW-System join them for this 45 minute presentation. They are hoping to sponsor similar system-wide presentations on user-service related topics in the future.
Library Technology CC report (Brunsting)
Marlys Brunsting, Library Technology Coordinating Committee Chair reported on the committee’s activities.
- Strategic Direction 1.4.2: Assist campuses with D2L/Library Integration Taskforce recommendations. The library directors were surveyed to assess the current state of D2L/Library integration. Most campuses have implemented the most basic recommendation at this time—a link from the Navbar to a static web page, usually the library’s home page. Six campuses are interested in implementing the Colleges model if there is support from DoIT. Three other campuses might be interested, but need more information. Two campuses (Madison and Milwaukee) are not interested. Milwaukee is pursuing a commercial product, LibGuides, to fill this need. One campus is still investigating the options and did not specify which model they will pursue. Marc Boucher is willing to talk to DoIT staff to see how much work it would require and how much it would cost to set it up for multiple campuses. The benefit of centralizing this at DoIT is that they can provide the technical assistance to get this working initially and support if needed in the future. Mark Robson at UW Washington County wrote the program in SQL with ASP and is willing to share it, but it won’t work “out of the box” for other campuses. The most difficult piece is pulling in data from each campus’ student registration system. Given the level of interest for this model, we are asking CUWL to approve moving forward to get more information from DoIT.
- Strategic Direction 1.4.3: Review distance education problems accessing library resources and work with other units to remove obstacles. The USCC is taking on this goal since it is a component of their charge. Steve Frye will contact the designated DE librarian on each campus to join a new subcommittee, ask them to create a charge and use the wiki to communicate. This will give the DE librarians their own forum. Our group asked that they setup a list of technical contacts on each campus and also focus on improving communication with libraries so that we know about new DE programs early on.
- Strategic Direction 1.5.1: Review options for a new OPAC; keep apprised of new products like WorldCat Local, Primo, and Evergreen. Since Madison has a task force doing this already, we will wait to see their report and make plans after that. In the meantime, we are reading articles on the subject (citations will be added to the wiki). Mitch will post information from the Madison task force on the wiki.
- Strategic Direction 3.1.2: Improve consistency across campuses of the MetaLib implementation; review recommendations for consistency of SFX and MetaLib variables and features. On hold until the MetaLib assessment is completed.
- Strategic Direction 3.1.3: Perform an assessment of SFX/MetaLib. The User Services CC was assigned responsibility for this. The LTCC will have one or two LTCC members on that committee (Terri Muraski-UWSP, Sharon Knight-UWW).
- Strategic Direction 3.2.1: Review Voyager invoicing and licenses to determine if there would be significant savings by renegotiating the contract. Ex Libris wants to see usage information over time. Madison has a script to take a snapshot of the number of OPAC, acquisitions, circulation sessions open at a time. Paul is waiting to hear from Linda Voyles to see if this is sufficient for all campuses. If yes, Brian will run the script for the hub and the script will be shared with other LAMs to run it for their campuses.
- Strategic Direction 3.3.1: Assist smaller campuses with automation needs - investigate centralization of more functions; work to offer more training. Documentation, Powerpoints, and webcasts will be posted to CUWL’s web site or the wiki to assist others. This is something that needs continuous prodding to encourage people to share what they have worked on and to solicit ideas for what they want. We also want to make sure there is a breakout session at the summer conference for a technical Q&A or roundtable.
- Strategic Direction 3.3.2: Create a UW functional contacts list. In progress. Paul Moriarty is going to compile responses and Marlys Brunsting will follow-up with campuses that have not yet responded
- Strategic Direction 3.2.2: Discuss a needs assessment for an electronic resources management (ERM) system, such as Verde. CRSCC will also be involved in this. A subcommittee needs to be formed. Sharon Knight (UW-Whitewater) will represent the LTCC. Michelle McNelly (UWRF) has also expressed an interest. Since there is no System money to purchase a product, the group will probably be asked to survey what other libraries of similar size are already doing. Sharing that information will be the initial goal.
- Strategic Direction 3.1.5: Review UB consistency settings across campuses (changed to Review and analyze the effectiveness of Universal Borrowing and further develop resource-sharing policies with the advice of appropriate constituencies). The CRSCC was assigned responsibility for this. We have recommendations for members of their subcommittee.
- The LTCC will be coordinating a Voyager upgrade or at least a patch this summer. Bill Doering, who chairs the Hub and LAMs groups, will oversee this.
- Skype was identified initially as a free alternative to Wisline for conference calls but we learned there is a limit of 10 people on a conference call. We are using freeconference.com instead. The only charges for this are the long distance call for each caller. It also has a web conferencing piece that allows the administrator to share their desktop with everyone on the call.
Marlys then posed a question for CUWL. Marc Boucher is willing to talk to the DoIt staff about implementing the D2L integration on other campuses. Should Mark pursue this question, how much will it cost, time it will take etc? After discussion the general consensus was to have Marc go ahead and get information on DoIT implementation.
Digital Initiatives CC report (Ranger)
Joshua Ranger, Chair of the Digital Initiatives Coordinating Committee reported on the committee’s activities.
The DICC was scheduled to meet at UW Baraboo on December 5th. The meeting was cancelled due to inclement weather but the group met via teleconference that day to discuss one pressing agenda items: a UWDC proposal from Wisconsin Historical Society regarding the continuation of their EAD finding aid project. This project, to which, the UWDC has contributed greatly, seeks to create EAD finding aids for all currently written paper finding aids for WHS collections. For these EAD projects, the WHS is made the outsourced service provider, so that while UWDC funds are used, little work needs to be done by UWDCC staff to complete the projects. WHS requested up to $52,586.82 to convert 5,000 pages, which constitute approximately one-quarter of the remaining pages left undone. The project was scalable; however, the DICC supported the idea of funding the full request. After some discussion about the budget and appropriate WHS contribution to the project the budget was revised to $42,960 for 5,000 pages. The DICC approved half of this money ($21,480) in the 07-08 fiscal year and pledged the second half—subject to budget—in the 08-09 fiscal year.
To complete the agenda originally planned for the 12/5/2007, the DICC met on 1/7/2008 at UW Baraboo. Here the DICC reviewed each of the action plans with detailed conversations regarding the whole committee’s expectations for each one. Working groups were formalized and meetings of those groups were planned. The WIKI was discussed and will be developed to aid in communication and task planning.
Collection Analysis/Collaborative Collection Development
Introductory remarks were made by Ewa Barczyk.
- Library Dynamics was contracted by UW System for collection analysis.
- Reasons for selection of Library Dynamics product were enumerated.
- Beauty of the Library Dynamics product is that it is simple in use.
- The use of the product is twofold
- In campus use, such as accreditation visits, etc. It identifies weaknesses and is good at tying the collection to usage.
- The Collections and Resource Sharing Coordinating Committee will be looking at it as a collection tool for the system.
Presentation - Howard Harris, Library Dynamics
Mr. Howard Harris gave a presentation on Library Dynamics Services Featuring
Discussion and questions ensued after the presentation.
Marc Boucher inquired if the product counted actual checkouts only or does it also include in-house circulation? Mr. Harris answered that right now only actual checkouts are counted. They are now trying to report that figure out and they are working to give usage both as checked out and off shelf usage.
Kathy Davis asked: Can you analyze your own collection at this level? The reply from Mr. Harris was yes, in order to do so you have to put in a dummy collection to compare your collection against. You always have to have at least one collection to compare against. Kathy then asked can you get to the level of analyzing subcollections for departments, e.g. how old, how many new books, etc.? The answer was yes, there are 6500 categories built in. For example you can output the publication date data as a tab delimited output and then input in an excel spreadsheet and analyze as needed. You can mine down to specific categories within a call number area. Mr. Harris feels that eventually they will standardize on 3-4,000 categories.
Ed Van Gemert asked if it is possible to compare sub-libraries on a campus. He noted that Madison is similar to the UW-Colleges in that it has multiple libraries on campuses. Mr. Harris replied that this is possible; there may however be an additional cost.
Ewa Barczyk noted that right now the committee wanted to keep each campus as a separate entity since we are using system money. Collection development within a campus (sub libraries) is not within the scope of this project.
Allan Davis asked whose data we will see for comparison purposes. The answer was that we will see not only the University of Wisconsin System but also a wider selection of libraries for comparison purposes.
Collections and Resource Sharing CC report (Reeb)
The Collections and Resource Sharing Coordinating Committee Chair, Richard Reeb, reported on the committee’s progress.
The committee extracted from CUWL’s updated strategic plan several action items identifying progress areas during the past three months:
- Work is proceeding on determining the cost of extending access system wide for major STM publishers’ journals and selective core resources in several disciplines currently licensed for the Madison campus. These figures will be the basis for estimating the larger, comprehensive cost that will be incorporated into the DIN budget request.
- Developed recommendations on how special funding allocated to the comprehensive campuses for commercial document delivery in support of faculty research needs should be distributed and which document services should be used.
- Conducted a “quick bid” for selecting commercial software that will enable UW libraries to evaluate their collections individually as well as consortially with respect to the strengths, weaknesses, usage levels and overlap of holdings. The contract was awarded to Library Dynamics. Training in the use of the Library Dynamics software will begin during the first quarter of 2008 as soon as the UW files have been loaded. This committee will coordinate that training effort.
- Prepared a report on the July-December 2007 monograph expenditures showing the distribution of each campus book purchases with particular attention paid to the level of expenditures with Blackwell Book Services.
In addition the committee helped put together the programs that are happening this week on the Library Dynamics software.
- The software supports analysis of our monograph collection. It does not support anything outside of LC classification. Most important it does not support the analysis of serials. The committee will be working with Library Dynamics to discuss possible development of capability of serials analysis.
A working group created, chaired by Ron Hardy of the CRSCC was formed and given the following charge:
CUWL has approved $40,000 in FY08 to either extend or expand, as appropriate, commercial document delivery services at the comprehensive campuses and the Colleges to support currently unmet faculty research needs. In FY09 $80,000 has been allocated for this initiative on the condition that participating libraries provide matching funds.
A working group will be charged with developing recommendations on which document delivery services should be selected, what steps should be taken by the participating campuses to ensure equitable access to the new or expanded services, and how usage will be managed to remain within budget. The working group will be expected to submit their recommendations to the Collections and Resource Sharing Coordinating Committee by January 14, 2008.
Following two conference calls in December and January, the Working Group is recommending the following for spring 2008 and is submitting them for CUWL consideration today.
- Add Science Direct and Wiley Interscience to the existing structure in place through WILS that provides commercial document delivery to UW Libraries from the British Library and CISTI. Wiley is willing to extend the same arrangement that they have with UW Madison to UW System, i.e. purchasing 500 tokens (articles) for $5,000, $10 per article;
- Consider other publisher or non-publisher options for 2008-09, especially if Science Direct and/or Wiley fail to meet our needs;
- WILS and OLIT staff will periodically monitor the use of the funds by campus, and assemble data on what content is being purchased;
- Use of the funds through the spring term should be periodically reported to CUWL through the CRSCC;
- Campuses should be given a dollar figure as a ‘guideline’ for how much they should expect to be able to use of this document delivery money based on each campuses percent of total FTE. If money is unspent after a certain point it should be opened up for campuses that have already met or exceeded their ‘guideline’ amounts to spend the rest of the money;
- An informational document should be created instructing individual ILL/Document Delivery staff on how to take advantage of these funds;
- The use of sophisticated ‘routing rules’ such as what UW Madison is using in ILL may be developed to apply to ILL / ILLIAD locally to improve the process of identifying requests from faculty that could be filled with these funds;
- Promotional documents should be created to promote these funds and this service on individual campuses;
Following the end of spring semester and prior to July 1, the spring 2008 arrangements should be evaluated, including whether the services selected are meeting the needs of faculty and campuses, whether the use of the funds is balanced or uneven across campuses, and if the process is working or can it be improved. Recommendations for changes in the services, procedures, etc. should be made and implemented prior to the 2008-09 fiscal year.
Discussion ensued on specific parts of the request.
Richard Reeb made a formal request for CUWL to act on the recommendations from the working group. John Pollitz moved that CUWL act on the recommendations. Valerie Malzacher seconded. The motion passed.
Discussion continued on planning for the April CUWL meeting. Jean Gilbertson noted that we should plan out for the rest of the academic year training on Blackwell and Library Dynamics. We need to rethink the time line and turn it back to the committee for consideration.
Use of email lists, wiki (demo), other communication issues (Frye)
Steve Frye gave a demonstration of the CUWL WIKI. The URL for the WIKI is:
A link to the WIKI is now on the CUWL page. The WIKI contain spaces for:
- All Coordinating Committees
- CUWL Coordinating Committee Chairs
- CUWL Executive Committee
- The Summer Conference
General Discussion followed about how the WIKI operates. There are both public areas to the WIKI and password protected sections.
WiLS report (Williamson)
Mary Williamson, representing Kathy Schneider, gave the WiLS report. She distributed the following reports from WiLS to the CUWL membership:
- BLDSC and CISTI reports
- If there are any questions, please call Kathy Schneider
- Net Lender/Net Borrower report
Summer staff conference (Gilbertson)
Jean Gilbertson reported on the progress of the Summer Staff Conference scheduled for June 3 & 4 in Madison.
- The Committee Chairs, CUWL Representatives to the Committees, Paul Moriarty, Lisa Jewell, and Jean Gilbertson have had their first teleconference. They have begun planning for the summer staff conference. They are discussing the format for the two day meeting.
- We want to encourage staff to come for both days. It will be at the Health Sciences Learning Center in Madison. The main goal is to get people together and have the program focus on things that are related to our strategic initiatives.
- They want to have a keynote speaker on each of the two days. One possibility is Susan Gibbons from University. Of Rochester. She may or may not be available. Discussion followed of finding a speaker if she cannot come.
- There will not be a charge for registration.
- The conference tracks may be aligned with Coordinating Committees.
- CUWL Library Directors are also encouraged to attend.
- The Committee needs to look at hotels for the conference.
General Discussion ensued on details about how the conference will be set up.
Joint meeting w/ITMC in Green Lake April 22-23, 2008
Jean Gilbertson noted that we have talked about using the meeting to bring in another group if there was a pressing need. We were thinking about the Collection Development group, but with the training that has occurred, this may not be as pressing. Plans are not really set for the April meeting. We should try and have our arrangements made as soon as possible. Discussion continued on having something on D2L. Other discussion about the program followed.
Valerie Malzacher moved to adjourn, Leanne Hansen seconded. The motion to adjourn passed.
The meeting was adjourned by Jean Gilbertson at 3:00 p.m.
February 27, 2008