Council of University of Wisconsin Libraries
CUWL Minutes, January 24, 2007
Council of University of Wisconsin Libraries (CUWL) Meeting
January 24, 2007
Meeting Minutes (draft)
Present: Valerie Malzacher (chair), Ewa Barczyk, Marc Boucher, Christopher Cox; Kathy Davis, Lorie Docken, Anita Evans, Jean Gilbertson, Leanne Hansen, Joyce Huang, John Krogman, Mordecai Lee, Paul Moriarty, Deb Nordgren; Kathy Schneider, Paul Roberts, Pat Wilkinson, Jon Musselman, Deb Nordgren replacement for Felix Unaeze
Guest: Jean Hansen, Richard Reeb, Joanne Rob, Laurie Boss
Introductions and News
Google project – historical society will contribute about 43% of the shipment from Madison.
WAAL conference – April 17 – 20 at the Wisconsin Dells.
- Approval of Minutes/Agenda –
Meeting Minutes – October 5-6, 2006
Executive Committee Minutes – October 25, 2006
Executive Committee Minutes - November 29, 2006
Executive Committee Minutes – January 3, 2006
Approval of Minutes/agenda of all: motion John Krogman; Leanne Hansen seconded - passed
- UW – System Report – Ed Meachen
UW is launching the first phase of the new human resources system as well a new supply management scoping project. The supply management scoping project will affect purchasing processes across the UW system.
Academic Co-Lab’s Games for Learning projects have received national publicity. Grant funds are available for support of further development of projects.
Large Enterprise Systems has a new director; Lorie Docken–duties will include management of project managers across the UW system. Paul Moriarty will be extending his hours until a replacement for Lorie can be found. Ed asked CUWL membership for input into the qualifications of Lorie’s replacement. Ed was asked to send to the CUWL group to send a list of job responsibilities. It was recommended that CUWL members should be represented on the search committee. The executive committee will recommend a CUWL member for the search committee.
Resolution moved by Anita Evans – A resolution of thanks for all Lori’s excellent service. Patrick Wilkinson seconded. All members unanimously accepted the resolution and congratulated Lorie Docken on a job well done.
- MINDS@UW Report – Pat Wilkinson – A new D space management
position was approved and a person has been hired. There are 1,861 items currently in collection with 68 communities represented. The MINDS@UW organization is being reviewed and a recommendation will be submitted to the CUWL membership in April. UW System has made a more coordinated effort to look at records management because of legal concerns. “D” space software is not designed for a records management application. There is a need for a records management effort but MINDS will not meet that need. A guideline document will be created to define the purpose of MINDS@UW. The new manager will begin making more campus visits. There will also be more publicity about the progress of the program and how the “D” space repository can coordinate with other repository projects within the system. Patrick encourages CUWL members to let their faculty and students know about this resource and the open source access options.
- WiLS Report – Kathy Schneider
Scenario planning is taking place at WiLS. The WiLS Executive Committee has been meeting to identifying the forces of change that would impact WiLS in the next 10-15 years. Twenty five issues were identified as having the likelihood of some degree of impacting individual libraries. These 25 issues were narrowed to six focal issues. WiLS is currently working on clarification of the six focal issues. There will be focus groups in the future – the process will probably take 18 months to complete.
Wisconsin Heritage Online progress - This program currently has 16 paying members and there are currently three projects in the program. A Wiki has been completed for the project.
Badger Cat - 82 institution are involved in this project
Budget request related to the ILL contract – A significant increase has been submitted in the DPI budget for interlibrary loan. Additional funds requested included a 50% increase for the WiLS current contract. Kathy was asked by DPI to encourage the academic community to support the DPI request.
Commercial document delivery has spent slightly over ½ of their budget to date.
Keynote speaker, Andrew Pace, has been arranged for July 25-26 WiLS World.
- Learn @ UW/Library Integration Committee report – Marc Boucher/Jean Hansen
Marc distributed the individual campus reports from the faculty surveys. Update: Two levels of recommendations will be submitted – a change in the way D2L links – library links at a course level. This course level link would be able to be removed by faculty if desired.
The final report provides recommendations regarding content that would be available and a recommendation for more cooperation between CUWL and D2L staff.
Marc provided individual campus survey information, compiled results for all universities, and a survey summary of the committee’s interpretation of the faculty survey. 88 faculty responses were received, but many were anonymous (40%). It was clear from the responses that faculty members were not familiar with Metalib and there was not a lot of interest in linking to “ask a librarian”. Problem with off campus authentication was identified as a problem. Non persistent links was another issue presented as a problem. More user education seemed to be needed. Faculty want to have more control over the library related links that are put in D2L.
Jean provided student feedback from the UW Madison student survey. There were two separate focus groups used to gather information on student needs in addition to a usability study.
Focus group key findings:
- There was a lack of awareness of a library course page – more promotion is needed.
- Students (especially 1st semester freshmen) appreciated the simplified pathway to resources on the UW site.
- Online help was identified as important and more tutorials were needed (students didn’t realize they were already present on the web site)
- Customization is helpful once explored
- Suggestions –Use a Knowledge based type tool
- Add a “what’s this” link
- Provide a variety of help options
Next step: A simulated course page was created integrating student recommendations and student reactions were collected.
- Promotion of the library web site is the key
- Reserves is a #1 priority
- Students preferred contact method
- Search boxes are the preferred method
- Online tips are important
- Students preferred D2L navbar link placement – library options should stay constant as they navigate through the course space instead of only being on first page only.
- Students preferred custom Library Course Page content
CUWL Task Force on Library Integration with Learn@UW website – www.library.wisc.ed/lcp/CUWL
The committee will distribute a report prior to the April meeting (probably March). Please look carefully at this document and talk to staff so it can be voted on at the April meeting.
- Distance Learning Report – Marc Boucher
Marc Distributed the System Policy on Library Support for Distance Learning.
change is proposed to line 7.0 from annual report to a biennial report.
CUWL members approved this change by consensus.
- CUWL Subgroup Final Report – Valerie summarized the review, feedback and editing of the report from both CUWL members and library staff. The Executive Committee worked with the document to reflect the spirit of compromise in the current wording. This new structure will allow for improved collaboration, communication, and work load. The valuable resource role of the Collection Development Committee and the Library Automation Managers Committee has been included in the new document. The feedback from all CUWL members and library staff has been crucial in the development of this new structure.
Concerns continue for some CUWL members about the downgrading of the LAM and CDC groups. Questions were voiced about the weight of the input by LAM and CDC members. Responses to these questions included comments concerning the value of having a coordinating committee develop relationships of input and collaboration. This reorganization is an opportunity to think of our structure in a new way. There is an assessment piece to this proposal that will allow for reevaluating and revising of the structure when needed.
There are many very detailed questions that still need to be addressed but many members feel this is a good start to a more responsive and dynamic structure for CUWL. This new structure will give some groups a voice that has been excluded in the past. The new structure expands possible input into cross functional policy and procedure development.
The Executive Committee proposed the adoption of the subgroup proposal as edited. 14 in favor, 1 apposed, 1 abstention - motion carried and proposal was accepted as submitted on January 24, 2007.
Bylaw changes will be addressed by the Executive Committee at their next meeting. Chairs of Coordinating Committees will be appointed very soon and Coordinating Committees will be implemented in July. Existing CUWL committees will remain active until July. CUWL Library Directors will nominate librarians to serve as Coordinating Committee Chairs.
8. Joint Conference of Librarians of Color Presentation – Michelle Harrell Washington - Anita introduced Michelle Harrell (member of the Diversity Task Force) to the CUWL Group. Michelle attended the Joint Conference of Librarians of Color in Dallas, Texas. Michelle shared her experiences at the conference. There was a variety of types of libraries and interest groups represented at the conference. Michelle concentrated most of her activity around the recruitment and retention conference theme.
The Spectrum initiative was discussed and how ALA has made progress in the recruitment and retention of librarians of color. Diversity Counts – a statistical report put out by ALA was reported on. This report outlined the current picture of librarianship and points for future developments such as influencing librarian education programs, service planning, recruitment/retention, collection development, staff development, etc.
Relevant libraries must reach out to diverse populations to recruit diverse staff.
Recruitment of diverse staff is not easy, it takes time and energy.
Be proactive about outreach to diverse populations.
Diversity is a real goal for libraries.
Retention is an ongoing commitment.
Incorporate diversity issues and awareness into orientation for new staff.
Leadership development should be offered for diverse library employees.
Formal or informal minority mentoring program would help.
Ownership of diversity responsibility should be integrated into the mission of the organization.
Anita recommended that a diversity piece be integrated into one of the CUWL meetings. Michelle recommended that CUWL invite Tracy Hall as a speaker.
Michelle encouraged all CUWL members to let it be known that we are interested in integrating diversity into library events and outreach. Michelle has a wonderful web site that will help with diversity planning.
- Book Procurement Working Group Recommendations – Richard Reeb
Joanne Rob, Laurie Boss (Procurement). Last May the Procurement Working Group was formed to look at audio visual, rush and primary vendor. The working Group’s main task was to create an RFP. The RFP was issued in late September.
The three vendor responses were received and a top vendor has been carefully selected by the group. If CUWL accepts the Committee’s recommendation, the committee will go forth in negotiations with the top vendor. The committee recommends the following people as a committee to further develop the top vendor negotiations: Lisa Pillow, Mary Reider, Joan Robb, Paul Moriarity, Richard Reeb.
The committee shared graphic displays of components of the RFP. Vendors were asked to base their discount quotes of 2, 2.5 and 3 million per year totals for orders.
The committee recognizes that there are several institutions that have contractual obligations that will have to be considered in the implementation. The committee found that the non-print vendor environment does not lend itself to a primary vendor evaluation.
#1. Recommendation – to move forward with top vendor from RFP exercise for primary vendor for regular and rush materials.
#2. A Negotiation Team be formed to continue working out details with top vendor.
#3 Non-print vendor – abandon the effort to find a primary vendor for non-print materials.
The committee reminded participants that there is a $25,000 purchasing threshold on using a vendor other than the primary vendor without going through an evaluation process.
John Krogman, moved the endorsement of recommendations, Joyce Huang seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
Institutions that have contractual agreements with a vendor other than the primary vendor, you will be asked to send that information to Laurie. Training of acquisition staff is included in the package.
- CDC Shared Electronic Collection Funding Recommendation – Joanne Robb summarized the recommendation for the group.
January renewals have already been voted on and approved.
Marc brought up the issue of Web of Science and that this product is used unequally by campuses. Marc asked that this product be looked at in the future with a different pricing model in mind. Issues discussed included understanding that UW library system is a consortium and not a buying group. Patrick recommended that the Executive Committee address the issue of cost sharing and system-wide use of electronic products. John suggests that CUWL work with our institutions to communicate the possibility of using student tech fees to help with electronic resources.
The budget for the shared electronic collection will be augmented increasing the campus contributions to the Shared Electronic Collection by $34,000 in 2007/08.
These funds represent a use of saved funds and therefore will not put an undo burden on individual campuses. Joyce Haung moved and Patrick Wilkinson seconded to approve the committee recommendation. The motion passed unanimously.
- UB Policies Task Force wrap-up and assignment – A small task force was formed that collected policies from all campuses. Valerie shared with the CUWL group a chart that summarizes their work. An issue was discussed on one of the list-servs regarding a new feature that allows individual campuses to block patrons from borrowing on home campus. The Executive Committee will ask the Resource Sharing Committee to look at this issue and to review the chart for system-wide policy. It was also suggested that the Executive Committee look at the privacy of borrowing records.
- Strategic Directions Committee - The Executive Committee recommends the forming of a adhoc Strategic Directions Committee composed of Leanne Hansen, Jean Gilbertson, Ewa Barczyk, Marc Boucher, Paul Roberts. Valerie ask for other volunteers to contact her. The goal is to have a revised document for the CUWL members to look at in fall 2007.
- Future meetings - The Green Lake joint meeting will be April 23-24.
Agenda items will include UWSAC - presentation.
WYSIS – Patent development organization presentation.
Motion to adjourn Patrick Wilkinson
Submitted by Kathy Davis, Secretary