Council of University of Wisconsin Libraries
CUWL Minutes, July 25, 2006
Council of University of Wisconsin Libraries (CUWL) Meeting
July 25, 2006
Special Collections Conference Room
UW-Madison Memorial Library
Present: Valerie Malzacher (chair), Ewa Barczyk, Barb Baruth, Marc Boucher, Kathy Davis, Lorie Docken, Anita Evans, Jean Gilbertson, , Leanne Hansen, Joyce Huang, John Krogman, Mordecai Lee, Paul Moriarty, Bob Rose, Kathy Schneider, Brenda Swannak, Felix Unaeze, Ed Van Germert, Paul Roberts, Peter Gottlieb, Chris Gross, Pat Wilkinson.
Guests: Richard Reeb, Lori Voss, Richard Grobschmidt, Sally Drew
Malzacher called the meeting to order at 9:30.
1. Announcements and introductions - All attendees introduced themselves.
Paul Roberts was welcomed to CUWL and Ed Van Germert was congratulated for his new position. It was announced that Stout has a new provost, Julie Furst-Bowe, Ed.D. Provost and Vice Chancellor. Felix announced that four top ranking architects will be visiting UW Superior campus in August in preparation for the new renovation. Leanne announced that the ICT literacy assessment contract has been signed and provides CUWL members to join at a reduced rate for software. UW Oskosh was the first UW library to make its contribution to the Wisconsin Heritage Online project. Their Archives has won the 2006 Governors award for Archive achievement. UW Madison’s new library website is coming up soon. Live reference service using Velario software will be available soon. This was Barb’s last meeting and she announced that Vanja Menon will represent UW Parkside as acting director for next meeting. UW Milwaukee is currently searching for a records manager, automation librarian, public services staff, GIS positions. Their remodeling project is now out for bid. UW LaCrosse is currently working on a collaborative learning commons experiment. Mordecai Lee of UW Milwaukee has a book coming out in fall titled Institutionalizing Congress and Presidency: US Bureau of Efficiency. Valerie Malzacher announced that Charlie Hurt is the new provost on the UW River Falls campus.
2. Consent Agenda and minutes approval:
A motion was made to approve CUWL minutes from April 19, 2006 and the CUWL Executive Committee minutes from June 14, 2006. Felix Unaeze moved, Pat Wilkinson seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
Valerie Malzacher asked to add two items to the agenda:
a. The relationship of CUWL to WLA in lobbying to the Wisconsin legislature.
b. Metalib consistency issues – system-wide settings and consistency.
The agenda was approved as amended.
3. Resource Sharing Policies – Kathy Schneider
The Resource Sharing committee has been working on these issues:
- Semester Loan for faculty – limited to books and government publications – no renewal specified but one renewal was assumed.
2. Remote borrower hold versus local patron – an item requested by a remote borrower &UB may be circulated to a local borrower if the local borrower finds the item on the shelf before the library has retrieved the item to fill the remote request.
3. Handling of lost materials – It is no longer necessary to collect data related to handling of lost materials between institutions. Data has been collected for two years; the Committee feels comfortable with the policy.
4. Central resource site for individual campus policies relevant to UB. CUWL should appoint a small task force of circulation/access services staff to compile policies to be made available on the UW system CUWL website.
5. Should there be a limit to the number of UB checkouts? No limit is necessary at this time. The Resource Sharing Committee presented a Motion to accept all five recommendations as presented. Discussion: Concerns included:
*Faculty from other campuses could wipe out a campus subject collection.
*Recall policies – how much time does off-campus faculty have to get materials back once recalled.
*Lori Docken provided data that breaks down checkouts between faculty and staff. 29% of the activity is coming from faculty. The bulk of UB is used by students.
*Concern that faculty might be using UB services to get around local practices.
*Some members felt that UB policies would cause institutions to review their local policies and make changes to more closely reflect UB policies.
*The committee found that eight of the campuses (a majority) already have a semester loan for local faculty.
*Some of the institutions serve more graduate programs and have different needs than strictly undergraduate institutions.
*There were questions regarding demand for recall, the definition of a semester, policies for summer, etc. All of these details will be work through and specific policies will be developed. Communication of detailed policies and procedures will be essential.
The CUWL institutions voted on the motion to accept all five recommendations from the Resource Sharing Committee. The vote was 18 yes, 1 no. The motion carried. The Executive Committee will move forward, appoint a task force and include at least one campus that doesn’t have a semester loan.
The cost of document delivery from British Library and the CISTI account - UW System support for British Library (BLDSC) document delivery of non-returnables not available within UW system libraries has been wildly successful. For FY07 the Resource Sharing Committee recommends that a similar program be established with CISTI in addition to continuing BLDSC. The Committee also recommends that in order to live within the $50,000 budget for this project, once total expenses surpass the budgeted amount, each campus will be invoiced a pro-rated share of the overage (based on actual use of the two document delivery services.)
Motion from committee–individual campuses will be charged for their use of BL or CISTI system. Prorated overages would start once the $50,000 budget has been expended. Vote: The vote was unanimous in favor of accepting the committee’s motion as presented.
Fees for UW loans to Reference and Loan- A discussion of the issues related to charging for Reference and Loan’s services- Data was shared that documented inconsistencies in CUWL institutional policies for charging for requests filled for Reference and Loan. CUWL participants agreed in the past that Reference and Loan would be charged for services, but local campus practice has not followed the CUWL decision. CUWL agreed that the policy instructs institutions to charge for services unless there are preexisting agreements. It was further explained that some institutions regarded the CUWL agreement as a recommendation and not a directive. A few institutions have not charged as a result of an error in procedures. It was agreed that the original CUWL policy should be enforced until the policy is discussed further at the October CUWL meeting. During the afternoon session, staff from Reference and Loan will present the issue to CUWL and ask that CUWL reconsider charging for services. Valerie will compose a letter to the staff of Reference and Loan explaining the current CUWL policy and informing them that there will be further consideration and discussion at the October CUWL meeting. Until that meeting, the policy will stand as agreed. All CUWL directors are encouraged to communicate with their staff to insure this policy is upheld.
Book Procurement Working Group update on RFP – Richard Reeb (Chair of the Working Group), Lori Voss (Office of Procurement, UW System). CUWL appointed the Book Procurement Working Group to develop a process that will lead to the selection of primary vendors for the acquisition of domestic monographs, AV materials, and rush materials
The committee has met several times in an effort to accomplish goal of having an RFP ready by September 1, 2006. Vendor responses will be due by Oct 1, 2006. The Book Procurement Working Group will complete their review of vendor proposals by November 1, 2006 and embark on final negotiations with top vendors in December, 2006.
Three categories of materials are being considered in this RFP– domestic monographs, media materials, and rush materials. The committee has concluded that a one vendor RFP will not be possible because there are not common vendors that handle all types of materials. Two RFPs will be prepared: one for monographs and one for media. RUSH order policies and procedures will be incorporated into the two RFPS. Amazon may not be participating in the RFP process.
The committee is underway with the domestic monographs RFP and is using a RFP from a Missouri consortium as a model. The committee doesn’t think that there will be many vendors responding and all those vendors are known to our campuses. The RFP will address the issue of primary and secondary vendor. It will ask vendors to commit to a discount level
The Working Group has been working with the concept of “primary vendor” and proposing that the RFP document ask vendors to report their discounts based on different level of expenditures system-wide. Each CUWL campus will be asked to submit monographic expenditure data by Monday, July 31. This new data will be compared to the previous year’s data and RFPs will ask for discounts based upon various annual system–wide expenditures ranges. The ranges in the RFP will be limited. Data currently shows that 73% of various campus expenditures are made with one primary vendor by each campus.
The working group is also considering the issue of the Second-hand book market – some libraries are using the used book market. How would a selection of a primary vendor impact this practice? A representative from the system procurement office reported that CUWL members must be aware of the state procurement law that requires specific procurement procedures once an institution exceeds $25,000 per year. This is mostly an issue of prime vendors vs. on-line vendor (Amazon.com).
The use of a primary vendor selected through the RFP process will not be mandatory for individual campuses, but campuses will be obligated to develop their own procedure that honors the UW System procurement regulations. CUWL’s goal is to solicit a vendor that will meet consortium needs and help maximize discounts and improve buying power.
Discussion included: Would AMAZON be willing to consider an agreement? The Missouri consortium is just finishing this process and the outcome has been very well received and is being smoothly implemented.
How will an opt-out option impact our agreement with a vendor to provide a level of ordering? Will the rest of the campuses be stuck with honoring the vendor contract for minimum spent? The working group explained that the agreement with the vendor could include an out-clause in case the participants don’t make the agreed upon level.
There was a suggestion that service (fill rate) and discounts must be priorities to promote buy-in by campuses. The Working Group explained that discount is not the only priority used in the selection of a vendor. Duplication is another task that the committee has been charged with. Is Shelf ready service mandatory service in the RFP? Committee – Yes, it’s a part of the RFP and all vendors being considered offer this service.
Valerie: Next steps: The CUWL group will be included in the RFP draft review process.
The August CDC meeting will include a discussion of the draft RFP. CUWL will get the draft for review after August 22 meeting of CDC.
Update on LEARN@UW/Library Integration Committee up date ) Marc Boucher and Jean Ruenger-Hanson
The Committee has been compiling results received at the spring joint meeting. They are starting to get a picture of links that have been included in D2L – there is a range from specific to very general options. The committee met last week to discuss the most promising ways that campuses are currently integrating library resources into D2L. The committee continues to work on the question of what resources should/could be delivered and how to deliver library resources through D2L? Student surveys will probably be limited to the UW Madison campus. Faculty surveys would be distributed as a web based survey sometime in October. The committee will gather approximately 10 faculty names per campus from D2L and library staff. Library directors will be asked to invite their identified faculty to participate. Preliminary report will be available in the fall with a final report deadline of spring.
CUWL Subgroup Working Group report – Bob Rose’s group report was moved to the afternoon session to allow for sufficient discussion. Smaller reports were moved to the morning agenda. Rearrangement of agenda was agreed upon by group.
Voyager up-date report – Paul Moriarty
Eight libraries have been updated to version 5. The upgrade was not of the newest version because of existing problems with the software. Next summer the UW libraries will upgrade to another version still to be determined. Upgrades have gone relatively well. Brian Wilson has given great service and communication and LAMS are pleased with his contribution. Libraries are fine tuning settings and there are a few UB oddities that must be documented and worked through. Backups on the hub are running well. Patron uploads are being tested and new book tabs are being implemented.
UW system report – Lori Docken
UW’s are being transitioned to the new BadgerNet. All should be completed by the end of the month. There is a contingency backup and there were traffic problems at the beginning of the semester. CIOs are talking about at what point traffic would warrant
the fallback procedure. There is a new hardware platform at the Learn@UW utility –the system should be back in business this week.
Contract negotiations are underway with Oracle People Soft for modules in the procurement and human resource payroll areas. Implementation planning is currently underway. Application potential problems and diagnosis on Badgernet are being discussed in preparation for full load in the fall. It will be difficult to anticipate potential problems until the load increases as the semester gets underway
There is there no news about the rumor on a mandate of a 10% administrative budget cut in the next biennium and isn’t accepted until after elections.
WILS report – Kathy Schneider
Kathy Schneider provided WILS action plan for the coming year for CUWL’s review. Patrick Wilkinson has been elected to the OCLC MEMBERS COUNCIL committee for OCLC. OCLC is one of the final vendors considered in the WISCAT RFP process. Current limitations with ILLIAD should be fixed in next release. Ewa Barczyk commended Kathy Schneider on her work with the Wisconsin Heritage Online.
Well wishes to Barb Baruth in her Retirement
Ed Meachen walked down memory lane with the CUWL group sharing stories and describing Barb as “most outstanding administrators he’s ever known”. Valerie Malzacher offered a retirement proclamation honoring her contributions to her library, her discipline, her colleagues and her friends.
Fees for UW Loans to Reference and Loan and update on WISCAT RFP process.
Sally Drew (Reference and Loan) and Rick Grobschmidt (Assistant State Superintendent for the Division of Libraries, Technology, and Community Learning) joined the group from Reference and Loan to discuss the discrepancies in charging for services among the CUWL institutions. For the last four years the funding through WILS has been severely reduced. Sally Drew commented on her appreciation for the services that Reference and Loan have received from CUWL institutions. Reference and Loan is going into another biennial process and they don’t anticipate any budget relief in the near future. Sally explained that requests are limited to free libraries. Use of Libraries that charge is reserved for items that can’t be acquired anywhere else.
Marc Boucher requested more detail about Reference and Loan services. The Reference and Loan service is a clearing house for public library and public school library ILL requests. They work with both OCLC libraries and non-OCLC libraries to loan materials and to process ILL requests.
There was a question as to whether the Reference & Loan service tends to serve public libraries more than public school libraries. Sally replied that the primary users are public libraries but these libraries are often working very close with the school systems.
Valerie explained to Sally and Rick that CUWL will be reviewing the policy to charge a minimum of $5.32 per item to Reference and Loan. The CUWL group will take the information presented by Sally to the Fall CUWL meeting for consideration. A follow-up communication will be forwarded to the Reference and Loan staff.
Madison shelving/preservation facility update – Ed Van Gemert
Ed Van Gemert shared with the group a Powerpoint presentation to update CUWL about the Madison high density, preservation facility. This new facility will provide off-site storage for the UW Madison libraries. Its purpose is to preserve the university’s investment made in print materials. Studies have been done that show the UW system is among the last of the large research institutions to embark on this kind of project. This initiative provides opportunities to manage costs through collaboration. Some of the advantages include: shared infrastructure with Wisconsin Historical Society, automated inventory system, dock and processing areas, and automated retrieval and information delivery. Having space for library materials in this new facility will also allow campus libraries to address demand for improved learning spaces such as seminar and teaching spaces, learning technology and media centers, group study areas, performances spaces, faculty collaboratories and cafes.
The modular design will permit future expansion. The initial module, constructed on the Harvard model, will accommodate about 2 million volumes in a multipurpose, collaborative facility with 35’-40’ ceilings.
Many of UW campus libraries are approaching 100% capacity. This facility may be used to help alleviate or at least reduce overcrowding and damage. Colleagues from institutions that have similar facilities report that this system improves the delivery of materials to users.
The concept has been approved by the Madison campus planning committee for 2007-2009 Biennium as either a shared facility or a Madison only facility. Funding is still being negotiated. The location is not currently decided. The project will go to Governors Building commission next for state GPR funding.
There will be discussion in the future among CUWL members to develop selection criteria for what should be put into the storage facility by system libraries. Duplication of system library holdings might be one criteria. This project might provide opportunities to discuss the last copy issue or warehousing materials which have been digitized. .
LibQual Survey – Valerie Malzacher
The repeat of the LibQual survey was discussed at the last executive meeting. Many institutions felt very positive about the LibQual results. The CUWL participants were asked whether there was interest in repeating this survey.
It was suggested that this spring would be too soon. There are some initiatives from the first survey still being implemented. Many members found the process beneficial but it was agreed that a repeat of the survey process at this time would be premature. The 2004 assessment was done fairly quickly. Preplanning would allow problems with the first survey process be worked out.
Will there be system money to support this process? Lori Docken responded that funding would need to be addressed by system. It was suggested that if system could not fund this project that individual institutions might consider funding it.
Motion –The CUWL libraries will repeat the LibQual assessment process in Spring 2008 and include investigation of system funding to include UW colleges. - Patrick Wilkinson moved and Bob Rose seconded –Motion passed unanimously
During fall, 2007 CUWL will revisit this issue and make plans for funding and implementation.
Report of Sub Group Working Group – Bob Rose
The working group has been looking at changes to the current CUWL committee structure that would create a structure to empower subgroups to address issues that support the One System One Library concept. The report has been sent to the existing subgroups asking for their input. Once input is collected, the committee will make a final recommendation at the Oct meeting.
Jean was asked to take over the gavel and lead the discussion giving Valerie an opportunity to more fully participate in discussions and answer questions, since she was on the working group.
It was recommended that a CUWL member be a representative on each of the four groups and that a representative from each group participate in CUWL meetings. The cross functional nature of these committees will improve the communication. Concerns over the reduction in CDC and LAM rep participation was voiced as a concern. The loss of discussion among colleagues is also a concern for some CUWL members. Solicitation of feedback from all institutions will be essential for this structure to work.
Listservs are planned for each group and would promote more robust discussions. Resource persons can be brought to the group. This idea addresses the use of experts both on and off campus.
Concerns from staff about loss of representation, expertise, and accountability were stressed by several CUWL members. All major decisions would come to CUWL so that group accountability would not be a problem. Need to be proactive with the training of these groups and make sure our expectations are clear to these groups and their chairs.
The committee will take back all the input and use it to tighten up the language of the document. The makeup and chair of these committees has not been decided.
Bob encourages that you get feedback from staff and forward on.
Metalib and SFX consistency report
System wide setting issues: Consistency of terms such as “my space” was discussed. Has consistent terms for MetaLib and SFX services made a difference? Should we vary from this decision?
Should the Advisory Committee continue to enforce the consistency items previously agreed upon? Philosophically,are we mired down with specifics that don’t really affect our “one library” concept at all?
Discussion included: Consistency helps with student who transition .from 2-year to 4-year colleges who use multiple campus libraries. Promotion of the One System-One Library is enhanced through consistency. It promotes common understandings and common terminology in discussions. SFX and Metalib are supported centrally and anything we can do to achieve consistency to help with support would be beneficial. With each upgrade there are an increasing number of items that require consistency.
Valerie will lead a discussion at the August SFX meeting and communicate CUWL desire to continue promoting consistency when possible. “My Space” may need to be considered for a change.
WLA appeal to library legislative committee and what help they can give us in their lobbying
Chris wrote a piece two years ago that was provided to WLA for legislative day. CUWL updated that plan last year with a short version of the CUWL strategic plan. The discussion included strategies for helping lobbyist promote university libraries. It was recommended that all members take every opportunity to communicate to their representative and to help WLA communicate the importance of supporting libraries.
It was suggested that it might be helpful to set up a teleconference with the WLA staff and UW System representatives to discuss the relationship between UW System and the WLA LD&L Committee. Valerie will take these comments and prepare something for Lisa.
Distance Learning Report – Marc Boucher
Distance learning guidelines – each institution will be asked to send data about distance learning support in libraries. Marc will gather these reports for CUWL and will compile them for the next meeting
Coop Extension faculty and staff throughout state – Ed Van Gemert
UW Madison library has been providing services to these people since 1993 when the Madison Extension library closed. They have voiced a concern to have access to electronic resources from the Madison campus. Madison is in the process of providing services to about 300 of these users. These folks can get UW Madison IDs and must go through Illiad to get materials delivered to them.
Badgercat UB naming consistency
The Reference Coordinators Committee is discussing this but no consensus is ready. CUWL approves that Valerie follows up to implement the committee’s decision once it’s made.
The next CUWL meeting will be October 5-6, 2006 with a preconference.
Directors will have the first chance to sign up for the preconference but after that it will be opened to staff. January meeting will be around Jan. 23rd, which conforms to WLA Library Legislative Day. The spring meeting will be a joint meeting. Please forward agenda items to Valerie
4:15 Pat Wilkinson moved to Adjourn. Barb Baruth seconded
Submitted by Kathy Davis