Council of University of Wisconsin Libraries
Green Bay Agenda Items
UW- Green Bay
Thursday-Friday, May 6-7, 2004
Attendees: Anita Evans (Chair), Ewa Barczyk, Tony Galt, Joyce Huang, Kathy Schneider, Leanne Hansen, Barb Baruth, Bob Rose, Lorie Docken, Paul Moriarty, Marc Boucher, Ken Grant, Deb Nordgren, Phil Schwarz, Chris Goss, Pat Wilkinson, Arne Arneson, Valerie Malzacher, Tom Murray (Thursday only), Tony Gulig, and John Krogman.
Guests: John Jax (Thursday only), Kathy Pletcher (Thursday only)
Anita called the meeting to order at 1:00 pm.
Thursday, May 6
1:00 p.m. Welcome: Introductions, announcements, and approval of agenda and minutes (February 2, 2004) and review of Executive Committee teleconference minutes (March 29, 2004)
Welcomes were extended and some housekeeping announcements made. The February 2 minutes were approved as written.
1:10 p.m. UW System Administration/OLIT (Lorie Docken)
Work is continuing on the next generation network for the UW System, separate from the network vendor being procured for other state educational entities. A revised RFI will be issued that addresses the needs of the UW System campuses. Partners are being sought and funding issues still exist. The new network will be university managed. The CIOs are developing smaller working groups to continue with planning. Don Norris, UW System, is conducting a series of campus visits to discuss the implementation of common systems (e.g.D2L and HR).
Watch for reports on our common systems as they are leveraged to our advantage. The link between these systems and teaching will continue to be made.
The Board of Regents working groups are still in session, although they have distributed some potential drafts. Library issues have appeared in two of the working group drafts in terms of expanding research /technology and of enhancing resources for research and public service.
The governance group for IAA has been meeting monthly since January. The IAA hub is currently being used by 4-5 campuses for Learn@UW (D2L) and the group is also exploring use for the Lawson application. There are privacy concerns that are being addressed.
Lorie sent an e-mail announcement regarding an upcoming D2L conference. Glenda Morgan is leaving at the end of May for another position in California.
1:25 p.m. CDC Report (John Jax)
On March 30th, the CDC held a joint meeting with the RCC. The joint session worked very well; the groups would like to be able to continue the joint sessions with an opportunity for each group to also meet separately on that day. The budget includes the $100,000 contributed from the campuses. CUWL approved the recommendation to renew the three Gale databases at $7,820 in order to expand the number of concurrent users. The group also approved renewals for CIS Statistical Universe ($50,716), Lexis/Nexis Academic Universe ($222,794), and Oxford English Dictionary Online ($23,494). The addition of APA’s PsycARTICLES ($98,900) was approved for the shared electronic collection. The following will not be renewed: Access Science; Groves Art Online, and E-subscribe. Different groups are investigating options for CINAHL, overlap for MathSciNet, coverage in ABI/Inform and EBSCO’s Business Source Premier, and several new suggested titles.
Ken Frazier requested that the chair of the CDC get in touch with the President of BioOne, Heather Joseph, to discuss marketing strategies to increase the use of this database nationally.
Discussion on usage statistics ensued. Each vendor defines and reports statistics differently. We are starting to see greater consistencies and some products are Project Counter compliant. Concern was expressed that vendors have a vested interest in presenting their statistics favorably, and independent verification would be preferable. We need better mechanisms for tracking and standardization for reporting, although we recognize that usage statistics should not be the only criteria for making cancellation decisions.
1:55 p.m. CUWL Collection Management Task Force (Ewa Barczyk)
The task force met to discuss how to define a collaborative model while also keeping some local autonomy for specialties. The goal is to free up collection dollars so more money can be used for special collection needs on each campus. The group will need to study all collections, but especially serials because of their costs. A pilot will study duplication of monographs and then recommendations will be made. Our emphasis should be on access rather than size of collections in publicizing services to our users. The task force will look at other collaborative models and will consider questions, such as whether core collections are still valuable at each campus.
Ken commented that we need to begin to identify what the “core” materials are and what we can “share” to better utilize our $20 M in resources, accounting for both usage and duplication. High cost commercial journals are also an issue…..we will probably become less dependent on these commercial providers. Tom noted that he LibQual survey is already identifying some gaps in our collections. Pat commented that UWO will be reviewing their collection development policies in the coming year.
2:15 p.m. Reference Coordinators Committee Report (and Preliminary Assessment) (Valerie Malzacher)
Valerie distributed and summarized her report. The committee shared information on the new D2L (Learn@UW) course management system and actually has begun using the tool for discussions. They have examined some samples from D2L and the Technical Colleges and hoping to develop some short script tutorials that all of us can use (i.e., Universal Borrowing, SFX, ILLIAD, etc). The materials need to be easy to self post and access (CUWL shared web site). Many campuses have already inserted a library “presence” into their D2L pages.
This group is beginning to gain identity and focus as well as sharing some very good information and ideas. The consensus was that the committee should continue with a formal assessment to come a bit later.
2:32 p.m. Electronic Communications Task Force (Tom Murray)
Tom distributed and summarized the work of the task force. The test site has been set up, but it has not been used a lot yet. One drawback is that there is no self-registration and users must authenticate to use it. It is also cumbersome to set up “groups” that are different from the typical student/faculty class structure. Thus the group is piloting a web forum freeware that is more user-friendly and plans a half-day meeting in Madison to brainstorm and experiment with the functionality. The thought is that this site will eventually replace the CUWL website. Certainly more promotion and commitment to use it would help. Hopefully D2L will evolve into a more useable communication tool for “non-classroom” user groups. A better mechanism would allow for self posting and for users to register themselves as is possible in the freeware. (A heads-up…Tom is retiring this summer!)
2:55 p.m. Break
3:15 p.m. Electronic Resource Management Task Force: SFX/MetaLib Implementation (Valerie Malzacher/Paul Moriarty)/ DoIT Service Level Agreement (Lorie Docken)
Paul noted that three campuses are live on SFX; many more coming up soon. The MetaLib training schedule, with version III, is put together for late summer. It will probably take a campus about three months after training to fully implement, but it doesn’t have to be perfect before it is rolled out. The Advisory Committee will meet on May 27th. The ILLiad open URL component should be available soon. Several non-UW libraries across the U.S. are successfully using the software.
Lori summarized the draft DoIT Service Level Agreement. It is modeled on the Voyager hub and D2L agreements. The hours of service have been expanded to 6:30 am to 10:30 pm Sunday thru Friday and 8 am to 4 pm on Saturday. The DoIT staff is being trained now on the software. Lori answered questions on the cost breakdown and will clarify the language on the backup service and outage announcements. Barb volunteered to assist in the review of the document as it evolves.
The April 2004 cost plan has a bit lower hardware cost; a bit higher Sun maintenance. Thus the hosting service contract is budgeted for $80,000/year. Since the year 1 cost was longer than expected, cost savings will be applied to the campus cost in year 2.
3:53 p.m. Roundtable Discussion:
o Alumni & Vendor Negotiations for Access to Databases (intro: Phil Schwarz)
Interest is there, but what is the cost? Ken indicated that the WAA will have an alumni library on line this fall, with high interest in institutional history. They are working with ProQuest ($6500 cost; Alumni Office pays half). EBSCO will negotiate as well. The WAA will offer email reference and the licensed database behind the WAA log-in, as part of their membership fee. Certainly provides library visibility. Some institutions however, have alumni associations that currently charge no membership fees.
o LibQual+ Update
Some campus surveys are still open. Comments were interesting. Some common themes were: many do not like the survey instrument; users seem to want more electronic resources, better-trained student workers, and quieter and more modern facilities. Response rates varied. Parkside and Whitewater are using their own surveys. System is looking into funding the survey in future years. A lot of analysis yet needs to be done….some will use it for assessment. Should there be a UW Libraries annual report? Most campuses will post the summary results.
o D-Space Campus Pilots/New Task Force
Eau Claire has begun some discussions on developing some learning objects. The D-Space team is just beginning to meet at Stevens Point and there is a Math faculty member from La Crosse who is interested in D-Space in conjunction with an NSF grant. Kathy noted that WiLSWorld will have presentations on preparing learning objects. Ken noted that there is a lot of faculty interest in posting materials and also that digitizing federal documents is under review nationwide (UW-Madison will participate and partner with others!). The creation of a digitized public domain for federal documents is very appealing.
4:30 p.m. UW Regents February (Al Guskin presentation) and March Meetings/ Video (Kathy Pletcher)
Kathy shared the ten-minute video that was presented to the Board of Regents in March which emphasized the importance and extensive use of technology by faculty, staff and students in the UW System. The subsequent presentation that the Regents heard then described the background for and the selection of a centralized course management utility (D2L/Learn@UW) as an example. The extensive available electronic library resources and services were also emphasized. It was further noted that this requires continued significant resources.
Discussion ensued on the evolving face of the “traditional” library and how information is accessed: much use is from off site.
5:10 p.m. Recess
Friday, May 7
8:30 a.m. Resource Sharing Committee (Kathy Schneider)
Kathy summarized the report that was distributed. The committee’s survey resulted in some recommendations to the Resource Sharing Policies. The key changes were: using email for overdue notices; set a limit of 100 items in circulation per user; unblock delinquent users within 24 hours of problem resolution; and institutions are to abide by the guidelines except for legal holidays or disasters all during the year. Leanne moved to accept the changes, seconded by Tony. Significant discussion ensued on the 28-day loan period. The group was reminded that holds are not technically possible. Pat volunteered Oshkosh to pilot a semester long loan period (which some Madison libraries currently do). Some concerns were expressed about how different lending periods may confuse the user. It was noted that different libraries have different patrons of emphasis, i.e., students vs. faculty. One suggestion was to study the issue for a year and/or try to acquire more specific student and faculty use data. The motion carried unanimously.
The committee is also recommending extending System support for non-returnables (from Madison and Milwaukee) through June 2005. The Committee also recommends support of the recommendations from the Task Force on Collection Management regarding use of commercial document delivery for those documents not available in the UW System. It was noted that as subscription prices continue to rise, campuses are shifting to the direct purchase of critical articles for faculty. Ken moved, Bob seconded, support of the recommendations. The motion passed unanimously.
Ken noted that WiLS had received a complaint from a Boston law firm representing several societies and publishers requesting the cessation of all inter-library loan activities by May 10 with a full accounting of lending to date. System response indicated that WiLS is clearly affiliated with the UW System and that copyright law and licensing issues were not being circumvented. It was noted that ILL is an essential resource for the flow of needed information. All questions from the media should be referred to UW System.
The committee hopes to resolve the issue of a “UB request takes precedence over on-site borrower” in the coming year.
9:30 a.m. Digital Library Advisory Committee Report (Pat Wilkinson) and the WiLS “The Wisconsin Digital Library – Bringing the Pieces Together” conference (Conference Participants and Attendees)
Pat summarized his written report, noting several recent digital collection presentations made by committee members. New content has been added, new projects are being identified and functionality is improving. Efforts are also being made to integrate the UWDC with local campuses, encouraging their participation. The quality of work at the UWDC continues to improve as technology improves. Individual campuses are also beginning to do a lot more local digitization. Eau Claire, Madison, Milwaukee and La Crosse all noted local projects completed or underway. Pat reminded the group to beware of interoperability issues may make it a bit challenging to share collections.
Ken noted again that UW Madison will be participating in a pilot program to digitize federal documents and invited all to participate as the pilot develops. Models are being explored to provide incentives for participation. Ken will distribute the business plan for the project. “Clearing shelf space” will be both a benefit and an issue.
Kathy noted that there is a report of the recent WiLS digital collection conference available on the WiLS website.
9:50 a.m. Mentorship Program (Participants)
Several veteran members were partnered with new members. Eva and Ken indicated very positive results, having learned from each other. Frequency of communication, particularly face-to-face is always key. Valerie and Bob echoed the positives, noting that visiting other libraries was very beneficial. Marc and Leanne did not meet as often, but noted that the added resource was helpful.
10:00 a.m. Break
10:15 a.m. WiLS Report (Kathy Schneider)
Kathy summarized her written report. She noted that negotiations are underway for OCLC unlimited group services with emphasis on statewide participation. Kathy believes this could lead to lower costs and higher participation by smaller libraries. The eBook Consortium seems to be working well; current fees will be maintained for this year. OCLC is working on a merger with the national Ref24 consortium. The OCLC pricelist has been released. The WiLS Board may be some restructuring as to how the fees are assessed and is looking at several options.
Pat recommended that the future of virtual reference be discussed at an upcoming CUWL meeting.
10:30 a.m. Budget Cycle for FY05-07 (Chris Goss)
Chris noted that the Board of Regents study exercise has delayed the budget process a bit. UW System is pushing the need of libraries, but the financial aid shortfall will probably be a higher BOR priority. Chris queried the group on what CUWL’s current priorities are. The last request ($6 million for 2003-05) included campus collections, shared electronic collections, sharing of physical resources, and digital collections. Should centralized storage, built or leased, be included? What might be “stored”; how would it be staffed? The preference would be “built” storage which would require insertion into the capital building project process. It was recommended to shift money from the campus collection request to the shared electronic collections request and to rename “campus collection” to highlight a more cooperative emphasis. It was a consensus that the four highlighted areas should remain in the budget proposal. Chris would need additional feedback on the budget by about mid-June, but will confirm the timetable.
10:40 a.m. ILLiad/Odyssey Implementation and Endeavor Update/LAMs Activities, including subcommittee on Voyager hardware configurations (Paul Moriarty; Lorie Docken)
Paul highlighted some items on his written ILLiad report. We continue to work on improving communication with Atlas. Understanding the academic year calendar has been a challenge for Atlas. Server outage and gateway problems seem to be resolved. Current major issues include shared data problems, open URL for SFX, ILLiad enhancements, and the connector program. Paul encouraged the campuses to continue to report problems and copy him on those reports. Arne noted that there will be a “best practices” ILLiad meeting on June 8 at Stevens Point.
Lorie highlighted some of the LAM’s issues with Endeavor. Apparently a new “Unicode” major release is coming in June that requires an Oracle upgrade. We are not interested in participating in this upgrade this summer, which probably will delay it a year, since it has not been fully test for UB: the upgrade last summer introduced numerous problems. The significant problems with UB continue. A new “last” patch will be available in a few weeks. Ed Meachen has requested a meeting with the Endeavor CIO. UB maintenance (about $11,000) is being withheld in dispute. The question was posed as to whether to withhold payments on the entire Voyager maintenance contract. Should Platteville and Parkside pay for June 2004 to get in sync with the other campuses and then all withhold payment? It was agreed that all will withhold payments and Lorie will work with Lori Voss to communicate that with Endeavor.
Voyager hardware configuration has been communicated to the LAMs and will be forwarded to CUWL this fall.
11:15 a.m. CUWL Copyright and Intellectual Property Task Force (John Krogman)
John indicated that the Task Force had two teleconferences thus far, largely information gathering. He distributed a draft summary sheet showing the website location(s) of the campuses various copyright policies. He asked the group for more clarification of the charge. Should a common policy be recommended for all campuses? Should “someone” (System Legal?) provide resources to campuses? There is a definite need to educate users; so maybe a FAQ document? There is a need for one Wisconsin resource….maybe at least for educational purposes, if not for specific policies. Some general guidelines might be good because System Legal may not want a specific policy since it could be referenced in possible violations. Need pieces for ILL and for library photocopying (see UW Extension site). It was recommended to involve Chris Ashley (System Legal) as a replacement for Glenda Morgan. Chris is the System copyright contact and has written a report for Educause. The Task Force will continue to forge ahead and propose some recommendations in a few months.
11:35 a.m. Nominations Committee Report/Elections (Leanne Hansen)
The committee nominates the following slate: Chair: Pat Wilkinson and Secretary: Barb Baruth. John moved to close nominations and cast a unanimous ballot for Pat and Barb; Tony seconded the motion and it carried without dissent.
11:40 a.m. UW Libraries Strategic Directions: Mid-Cycle Review (Group)
Lorie indicated that a CUWL Executive Briefing on our recent activities relative to our strategic directions for System Vice President Cora Marret would be appropriate.
D Space Initiative: A new Madison staff member has been hired. This person could assist in educating the campuses. Using the D2L product is a possibility.
Information Literacies for Library Competencies is included through the WiLS web site and is being addressed at the campuses.
The question was raised on how we are addressing the issues of staff development. Should we collaborate and provide our own regional training? It was suggested that we could also use placeware technology and IP video distance education.
11:55 a.m. Miscellaneous items:
o Next CUWL Meeting: The Executive Committee will conference in early July to plan the coming years activities. It was the consensus at this point that a summer CUWL meeting was not necessary.
o Fall Joint (ITMC) Conference, Green Lake, September 13-14. The agenda will be planned in July. Joint general session topics are challenging to develop. The State of Wisconsin CIO is being invited to be the keynote speaker. A SFX/MetaLib demo was recommended.
o After September, the next CUWL meeting will be in February. Conference calls in between will be called if necessary.
o Future Agenda Items: LibQual, information literacy, virtual reference, digital library efforts.
o The ACRL deadline for proposals is May 25th.
o Thanks to Tony for his dedicated service! Thanks to Leanne and UWGB for hosting! Thanks to Anita for serving as Chair this year!
12:15 p.m. Adjournment