Former Committees & Taskforces
Reference Coordinators Committee
January 30, 2002
The Reference Coordinators Committee (RCC) is being implemented by CUWL to
facilitate and coordinate reference services where appropriate across the UW
System. It is recommended that the RCC normally not meet at the same time as
CUWL but that the chair presents a report to CUWL on a regular basis.
It is also recommended that CUWL assess the value and effectiveness of the RCC after two years and make a recommendation at its spring, 2004 meeting regarding the continuation of this standing CUWL committee. The following is the specific charge to the Reference Coordinators Committee:
The Library Director at each doctoral and comprehensive institution will appoint a representative to serve on the RCC. In addition, one representative will be appointed to represent the Colleges by the Colleges’ Library Coordinating Council. It is assumed that normally the reference “coordinator” or “director” will represent the library.
It is recommended that each year the Reference Coordinators Committee select its own chair, chair-elect, secretary, and CDC Liaison. The CDC Liaison will serve as a non-voting member of the CDC which will facilitate the work of the RCC in evaluating online reference resources, etc.
The following are the types of activities the Reference Coordinators Committee should focus on:
• Investigate the possibility of 24x7 reference service
• Promote the use of E-resources including E-books
• Possibly assist the Enhanced Resources Sharing Task Force in evaluating “one search” products
• Promote and facilitate library service to Distance Education students
• Assist the CDC in evaluating online resources
• Assist in developing orientation and training material related to reference resources (perhaps the RCC can assist in designating campuses who will be responsible for training and “PR” material for specific titles)
• Provide appropriate input to revising Universal Borrowing policies – especially from the reference services viewpoint.
• Other duties as deemed appropriate by CUWL