Council of University of Wisconsin Libraries

CUWL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
MEETING, TELECONFERENCE

Monday, September 12, 2011 9:00

Present: Kathy Davis, Chair, Paula Ganyard, Felice Maciejewski, Vanaja Menon (on the phone), Patrick Wilkinson, Zora Sampson

Agenda:

1. Approval of the minutes – minutes approved as amended

2. Strategic Planning – Next Steps: Selection of two goals from each of the four strategic issues to present to the CUWL groups for development.

Stakeholder Management
Innovative Access and Delivery of Resources
Plan/budget for sustaining resources
Communications/Structure
Stakeholder Management

Pat thought the steak-holder mapping paired with branding was essential.  At the Americas Regional Council they put together a communication plan over the course of six months which has guided a whole international group well and which still works.  He is willing to share their process.  It is vital to keep to the same few messages and to reinforce them.  Planning the message needs to be paired with planning the path detailing who will talk to whom.  It has been suggested after a discussion with a Provost that CUWL representatives should meet regularly with Provosts and Vice-Chancellors or that a Provost serve on CUWL.  Whatever the decision we need to keep the message clear and focus on the most important ideas.

Communications/Structure

Felice believes that communication planning is needed and suggested a possible theme meeting such as a networking day.  She sees the need for an
administrative avenue to send information out.  Our wiki is too limiting in available formats and space.  A single space that is accessible and gathers together information about all UW Libraries is needed.  A single vehicle with growth potential is needed.  One tool that we can stick with and improve upon is ideal.  She reminded us about the Chancellor’s video conferencing suites with Illuminate are new administrative tools that might be available for CUWL communication. 

Kathy wants to see our CUWL Executive council to improve internal communication.  She asked how do we break down the communication goal into something accomplishable?  If CUWL Ex can identify our top goals we can take them to CUWL with our suggestions for implementation. We need to present clear assignments to committees and taskforces and improve communications on multiple levels and in multiple directions.

Paula had several communication goals that she hoped we could achieve, including work on branding (that should point to importance of librarians), revisit our One systems, one library label and use it to improve our standing and achievements of goals or possible change it.  Telling our stories is still and always needed.  Internal communication also needs improvement, as well as communication with the UW administration, and our legislators, faculty, students and larger communities.  One system, one library is a simple message, which is good. We need to build on it with similar messages and focused tweaks. 

Innovative Access and Delivery of Resources

Paula asked about the implementation schedule for resource discovery.  Felice explained that the funds from Common Systems must be spent by the end of the 2011-12 fiscal year.  The bids are currently in the hands of system legal and should go out any day.  The vendor responses are due back at the end of October.   It is expected that product selection can be complete by early to mid-January

Pat feels that more and better communication about what Forward is and can do is needed.  Zora thinks we need to detail a specific test to perform in Forward and Voyager that should clearly demonstrate the superior results that Forward achieves using the exact same datasets.  Pat thinks that faster van delivery and more eBooks are needed.   Licensing, delivery, and purchase and special purchase of eBook are areas that need work and pose future challenges. 

Kathy wondered if that would be a CRSCC charge?  Which pieces are CRSCC and which would belong to LTCC.  How do we implement license policies and procedures?

1.  We need a recommendation on the feasibility of a unified ERM 
2.  The recommendation is needed by Spring. 

This should result from the study of two interfaces:  UB/ILLIAD and should result in a unified “get it” – that provides access to physical resources not locally available with a single sign on authentication.  What is needed for MLAR.  Will cloud computing based on the ILS improve access?  Perhaps we should invite OCLC & ExLIbris & Serials Solution & and representatives from open source ILS’s such as KOHA, Evergreen, etc.   A discussion of what we learn should take place in the CUWL spring meeting.  We should be able to have a sense by April meeting where the ILS next gens are headed.  This is important, we need to move forward planning based on the best information.

Felice said that executive briefings on ALMA are beginning.  She thinks ExLibris next generation ILS will include ideas that will savings money. 

Vanaja asks where do we put one system one library?  Accreditation needs to be considered as part of meeting campus needs.  The Common Systems,  CSRG does not want to pay for any local customization and the upgrades that the LAMS must accomplish suffer from customization.   

Felice points to the need for sub-group working on getting the word out about resource discovery news and updates.  This can be part of our communication goals. 

Plan/budget for sustaining resources

Pat believes the five year financial plan should be tackled by the budget committee.  The proposed plan should proposed and discuss at the winter meeting.  CUWL could take the plan to the provosts in Spring.  Priorities can be set while looking at costs increases, and needs and funding sources can be identified.   

Kathy wonders if we can successfully develop communication strategies and implementation plans together.   It seems more likely that we should look at proposal and then envision at the next steps.  The budget committee should have the plan ready to present at Winter Meeting for discussion by CUWL.  The CUWL Budget committee is made up of the CUWL Vice Chair, The Chair, the past Chair, Felice and a member at large. 

Part of the five year plan should plan for new FTE thresholds that the “growth agenda” moves us toward and the increasing costs that result. 

Can we work with system legal to train purchasing agents in correct and legal procedures to that will result in cost savings.  Ruth has been working with Felice in reviewing existing contracts.  Felice plans to work with WILS on training options for training in purchasing and contract writing. 

Collaboration with WILS should investigate purchasing in groups that include non-UWs.

Consortia Grants can be a source of new funding.

A statement from CUWL encouraging UW System, UW Administrations, and UW Foundations support of a library percentage of grant monies.  This percentage may come from the grant overheads.  Kathy will ask Ewa if she would help write a statement with a directors taskforce.  This should be presented for review at the Winter Meeting so that the resulting statement can be taken to the Provosts. 

Other goals included using an outside Budget Consultant, participation in the statewide eBook project.  Data about budgets should be folded into our communication planning. –

Defining the roles of the committees and Felice and other CUWL Constituents .

The Spring meeting should look back at our accomplishments so far and set agenda for the next year.  In June our transition meeting will offer orientation to new committee chairs and new members of CUWL and CUWL executive board.   July can begin with committees working on charges issued in June.  CUWL may move forward every other year on action items left over from planning retreats.

Executive Committee will put together a time table for orientation and the last CUWL of the year selects goals for the next year followed by the Executive Board tasking each committee with new goals and a timetable for their accomplishment.  This could happen after CUWL conference if that occurs.

Coordination of Communication needs support from the CUWL Directors to communicate issues to library staff. 

Felice will bring recommendations on improved communications to the executive board.  The board will refine the recommendations and take them to CUWL at the Winter meeting.  Finding the best process may require some experimenting.  In the past less did not work and more did not work. 

Felice says that our Coordinating Committee Chairs need a list of all the lists serves that is clear usable.  

Evaluation of the website and the Wiki – Paula is in charge and the coding in html is sent to Karen Dunn in accordance with the UW Admin web template. – Paula and Felice will bring recommendations to the winter meeting about these tools.

Could we have the next meeting of CUWL preceded by a demo of D@L to CUWL exec as an alternative to the wiki?  We would like to effect implementation by our Spring meeting.  The website is the public face (if anyone knows to look for it and finds it) = do we need a private face somewhere else?  (CUWL is not on Wikipedia.  Should we ask someone to write us up there?)

Pat – The recent report to Board of Regents recommends that UW System move to a more consultative role and less of a dictatorial one. Recent OLIT recommendations regarding budgets and money are to be more creative with spending but we do not have enough input into the budget.  It help to clarify the roles of System Administration and CUWL to all parties including Felice, WILS, etc. in the new iteration of UW System. 

Felice has been told that CUWL is exempt from any forthcoming cutbacks on UWSA funded travel to meetings at this time.  We need to look at the CRS vs. CDC and WILS and Felice roles within each so that duplication can be eliminated.  Felice and Kirsten will bring recommendations to CUWL exec about the distribution of duties and responsibilities between WILS and System, etc. 

Strategic Planning – Next Steps: Selection of two goals from each of the four strategic issues to present to the CUWL groups for development.

Stakeholder Management – goals? Stakeholder mapping and branding
Innovative Access and Delivery of Resources – goals? Implement the Resource Discovery product.  Move forward on a unified ERM?  While researching next generations of tools.
Plan/budget for sustaining resources – goals ? Prepare a five year plan with a timeline for implementation and recommendations on procedures to do so.
Communications/Structure – goals? Complete a communications plan and set down definitions of CUWL parts, their responsibilities and reporting path with a template of annual or biennial timelines.


1. CUWL meeting agenda development – Green Bay meeting
Kathy will make recommendations

a. Minutes approved
b. Exec minutes are distribute
c. Update from the Executive Committee

Do away with CUWL Liaison for CUWL CCs

d. Directors Budget updates
e. System update – Book Procurement announcement
f. Coor Comm Reports
g. WILS update
h. Strategic Planning updates from CEx
i. Task force on Resource Discovery
j. Budget priorities proposal from Budget Committee – which will meet before Oct.
k. CUWL conference – first day ends at 4:30
l. Tour at the end of the first day – one hour –
m. Cocktails at 5:30 – dinner at 6:30
n. System Recommendations Accepted by the BOR any discussion?

Kathy will put agenda draft out to CUWL by Friday Sept. 23rd, 2011

Meeting dates. The goal is to set a schedule for the entire schedule year to help Coordinating Committees accomplish clear assignments by certain deadlines.

CUWL exec next teleconference Oct. 10, 2011.

CUWL – Fall face-to-face meeting Oct. 24-25 – Green Bay

CUWL exec -  teleconference - Jan. 30, 2012

CUWL – Spring face-to-face meeting Feb. 16, 2012

CUWL exec  - teleconference - Apr. 3rd, 2012

April 17-20th WAAL Conference

CUWL – final face-to-face meeting of the year - April 25th, 2012

CUWL conference June 4-5th, 2012

Transition meeting with CUWL Exec June 5th, 2012

2. Coordinating Committee orientation planning progress – Kathy and Paula
Paula distributed a packet of proposed orientation including:

CUWL Roster
CC Appointments Roster and terms
CUWL Org Chart
CUWL operating procedures
CUWL current strategic dire
CUWL calendar
CUWL CC charges
CUWL additional CC assignments
CUWL reps for CC – list and explain role
CUWL running an effective meeting
CUWL CC keeping and archiving minutes
CUWL info on required reports
CUWL Consultants Role (Felice) on the committee
CUWL Other documents in a physical notebook

3. Legislative Day Orientation planning progress progress – Zora and Martin – We should have something to recommend by our Oct. 10th Teleconference. -

4. CUWL listserv development progress – Felice – discussed under communications planning.

5. Annual CUWL meeting schedule development – working dates?

CUWL conference June 4-5th -
Transition meeting CUWL Exec June 5th -

Summary –

Selection of two goals from each of the four strategic issues to present to the CUWL groups for development.

Stakeholder Management – goals ? Stakeholder mapping and branding
Innovative Access and Delivery of Resources – goals? Implement the Resource Discovery product.  Move forward on a unified ERM?  While researching next generations of tools.
Plan/budget for sustaining resources – goals ? Prepare a five year plan with a timeline for implementation and recommendations on procedures to do so.
Communications/Structure – goals? Complete a communications plan and set down definitions of CUWL parts, their responsibilities and reporting path with a template of annual or biennial timelines.

The committee was enthusiastic about creating clear tasks for all with as much guidance as CUWL exec can offer in the form of recommendations, deadlines and suggestions for implementation.