CUWL User Services teleconference
Attending: Steve F., Colleen M., Jill M. , Dave D., Barb B., Cris P., Ella C., Valerie M.
1. Introductions & review of charge
2. Meeting minutes
a. Decided to rotate minute takers. All names found on the CUWL wiki, and will go in alphabetical order.
b. Distribution of minutes will go as follows: submit drafts via email to entire group, give people end of week to suggestion changes, then J. Markgraf will will send mintues to Karen Dunn email@example.com ; & larger CUWL list.
3. Review collaboration tools
a. questions about wiki, website, shared server space, conference calls, email distribution lists?
share documents in progress on wiki, conference calls used to communicate, email dis list 1) list to just this group , 2) wider distribution to those interested outside of group, Server space – keep documents there not ready for public consumption – CUWL wiki has limited ability to accept attachments (only 40), uncertain if more will be allowed, so service space is for documents (instead of taking up wiki space), server does require password, the group has its own space & password – some people have access to more than read & write, can make easier to use server, could put link on wiki leading to server (allowing only read/write) - Steve will be the contact for now. No decision made yet.
b. What works well? What doesn’t?
New working groups – ACS subscription/Emerald subscription (both looking at substantial price increases)
Volunteers – ACS-
Emerald - Ella C. (can suggest people outside of committee), will be meeting via phone conference, Mary Rieder leading working group, get back to Jill within a couple of days (Tuesday) of volunteer or suggested liaison.
CUWL will be holding another conference, need planning committee volunteer from this committee – (Madison first choice, Stevens Point as back up), Steve served for a couple of years, issued reports (Jill has copy and will distribute – not public), there is a suggested planning calendar (Jill will distribute to committee) C. McFarland might be able to participate and will decide soon. J. Markgraf needs a decision by October. CUWL prefers someone from this committee (but substitute outside committee might be considered).
UB renewals work group – J. Markgraf has list of people from other committees (this committee needs to have someone pull group together) B. Bren volunteered and will pull together work group & this group will make recommendation to CUWL
a. Renewals - (need by Oct 8th to CUWL, then by December meeting)
b. Retaining patron history (or how long to retain patron history) became an issue, from concern over DVD returns (item checked in then found item is missing parts, without patron history can’t tell who had it last). It is not certain if this has to be the same across the system or if each university can have a different policy. Madison retains a longer history than the rest of the UWS, (10 patrons back).
The UB working group will be dealing with this issue. S. Frye will head small working group to see what each campus is doing (along with rationale from each campus as to why). UB group will make recommendation after getting Steve’s data.
c. Search settings in upgrade
Problems with Tomcat and UB, Madison is going back to old interface (but new version update) due to major problems and crashes. The few libraries that have gone to new interface have experienced similar problems (UWEC, UWW). ExLibris ‘s response has been uncertain. Madison reported that ExLibris is unable to fix problems with freezing, keywords in browse, catalog needs to be restarted.
Discussion on system wide settings for UB tabled until more libraries begin using Tomcat, will discuss next meeting (AGENDA item) to see what decisions made. UWMad. will stick with classic until possibly next summer. UWEC hasn’t had this discussion yet
5. Monthly webinars
a. Resource discovery task force
Feedback was pretty positive of last year’s series. Any webinar should cover issues of interest to user services committee and to share with the larger library community. Last year each webinar fell on the 3rd Thursday of each month, with a total of five. The committee decided to continue with the same schedule, to start in October. Discussion of how to expand publicity, as for now notice is sent on the larger CUWL listserv. A request for notice to be sent to all library directors and request that it be forwarded to staff and send notice to all four coordinating committees (marked clearly). Notice needs to go out earlier. The first notice should mention that all webinars will be 3rd Thursday, so people can block time out but do not need to advertise topics ahead of time.
A resource discovery task force update will be the topic for the November webinar. There will be no December meeting.
Shared collection – instruction librarians share their work (tutorials, library guides, worksheets, handouts) pool resources for items in shared collection (don’t wrap tutorials in local look). (C. Prucha would be interested in working w/ someone on this topic), can UWS shared collections lead to UWS shared instruction. S. Frye started a wiki on LibGuides.
Pandemic planning for user services (Oct.15) – Steve will ask Nancy McClements (Jill will contact Nancy), Kim will ask her director (UWPark) Vanaja Menon to lead discussion from a smaller university point of view. V. Menon will then need to contact Nancy McClements.
LibGuides – should it be system wide?
Spring semester series – shared collection shared instruction? and shared reference? – spend semester discussing various aspects of the topic
UB discussion – could be another discussion, perhaps workgroup might want discussion with wider audience (not if gearing to Oct date).
6. Resource discovery
Resource discovery was a big topic at CUWL retreat. S. Frye is serving on that task force. Resource discovery is defined as to how users find discover all the resources UWS libraries own, resources we provide access to (article content in databases/journals), all resources we provide access to starting with bibliographic, external collections, and UWS graphic collection. Discussion focused on interface at the CUWL retreat, but need to think beyond to how it would work and retrieve the desired results. The focus is what is the user experience.
What is role for User Services? Committee will wait for update from Valerie Malzacher on what is going on and what role will User Services will be playing.
Next meeting Oct. 9, 2009.